Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Btrfs Gets Big Changes, Features In Linux 3.14 Kernel

Hybrid View

Default Btrfs Gets Big Changes, Features In Linux 3.14 Kernel

Phoronix: Btrfs Gets Big Changes, Features In Linux 3.14 Kernel

While the EXT4 changes and XFS alterations for the Linux 3.14 kernel weren't too exciting, the Btrfs file-system update was submitted today for Linux 3.14 and it's definitely exciting...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4ODA

I wonder if making use of immutable biovars is in this pull or not...

still no lz4 support

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    still no lz4 support
    As far as I know, no one is actually working on this right now. It doesn't seem as though there is anyone who is interested enough in this at the moment, as there continues to be lots going on in btrfs development.

Is there or will there be an effort to make ensure that BTRFS is as fast as or faster than EXT4? I know BTRFS is all about features rather than performance, but the average home user doesn't need all of those advanced features. For me, faster makes a less painful time redoing my operating system and transfering all of my files every 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Prescience500 View Post
    Is there or will there be an effort to make ensure that BTRFS is as fast as or faster than EXT4? I know BTRFS is all about features rather than performance, but the average home user doesn't need all of those advanced features. For me, faster makes a less painful time redoing my operating system and transfering all of my files every 6 months.
    they're both pretty fast for most purposes, and pretty slow for things like maildir mailboxes.

If you have an ssd use f2fs. That seems to be pretty much the fastest one around. Well, maybe not for db, or heavily queued work.

Checksum file integrity, transparent compression, and cow snapshots are features I couldn't live without.

For certain operations, a COW filesystem will never be as fast as ext4. It is just not possible.

Perhaps if you turned off COW, then it may be feasible for btrfs to match, or nearly match, ext4 in almost all types of IO. I'm not saying it does now, but it would at least seem an attainable goal, in the unlikely chance that the btrfs developers made it a high priority.

For me, faster makes a less painful time redoing my operating system and transfering all of my files every 6 months.
    You're doing it wrong then...

(I use ext4)