Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightworks 11.5 Brings New Linux Features

Phoronix: Lightworks 11.5 Brings New Linux Features

The Lightworks professional non-linear video editing software that finally made it to Linux last year has seen a major update this week with the arrival of Lightworks 11.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lightworks 11.5 for Windows and Linux includes support for AJA I/O devices
    Man, I just got my hopes up, and then see that AJA suport is only on Windows

Comment

Too bad it's a scam as of now. They've been promising everyone that PRO users would have to pay only for PRO codecs, and this is how it's been working for three years now, first on Windows then on Linux. But now they have crippled the free version to output 720p "youtube" videos only.

Also, they've been saying all along they were going to open source the software. Now, for inexplicable reasons (everybody knows development would go MUCH faster if they opened the code already), that is delayed until OS X version is ready. If the time it's taken them to release a proper Linux version on parity with the Windows one is any indication, that means probably two more years. Many, including myself, believe Editshare will never open the code for Lightworks. They lied once. Why would they keep the promise two years from now?

I've asked them to rectify and I still have hopes they do. Until then I consider this release a classic bait & switch scam which should be openly exposed and rejected.
      Last edited by Aleve Sicofante; 31 January 2014, 12:19 AM.

Comment

The more I hear of Editshare's behavior...

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
        Too bad it's a scam as of now. They've been promising everyone that PRO users would have to pay only for PRO codecs, and this is how it's been working for three years now, first on Windows then on Linux. But now they have crippled the free version to output 720p "youtube" videos only.

Also, they've been saying all along they were going to open source the software. Now, for inexplicable reasons (everybody knows development would go MUCH faster if they opened the code already), that is delayed until OS X version is ready. If the time it's taken them to release a proper Linux version on parity with the Windows one is any indication, that means probably two more years. Many, including myself, believe Editshare will never open the code for Lightworks. They lied once. Why would they keep the promise two years from now?

I've asked them to rectify and I still have hopes they do. Until then I consider this release a classic bait & switch scam which should be openly exposed and rejected.
        The more I like Kdenlive. Yes, the devs at Kdenlive had to take some time off, I don't blame them after writing such an incredible piece of software, one of the only video editors that can work directly from a huge variety of formats without importing ANYTHING. In Kdenlive you can combine footage from unrelated cameras making totally unrelated files without having to do anything but crop and zoom,and pick an appropriate output framerate for the combo. You have color correction and a boatload of special effects, piles of transitions, even some pro-level features I have yet to figure out to use. All this with zero money, zero activation, and source code available to anyone. When it comes to competing with Kdenlive closed source editors need to run with the big dogs or stay on the porch.

OK, suppose Lighworks or some Windows editor running in WINE had such good GPU accelerated rendering that render time was always 30 seconds or less, as opposed by 1.5x realtime for Kdenlive with Bulldozer. If the closed program required me to transcode first-or had to transcode them itself to import them, I would have to wait hours for all the raw files to transcode, just to save five minutes at render time.

Maybe Kdenlive will have full GPU accel in a year or two, but even if it never does, it is damned good right now. I have been intensely curious about Lightworks, but I would not dare link a video editor used for my kind of raw files to an account with anyone, nor trust closed code not to try and watermark my files in some covert way potentially useful to law enforcement (I do activist video). Hell, I could easily see a closed-source editor with a paid version embedding license numbers somewhere in the videos. I would not dare distribute video that could contain such data, just as I strip EXIF metadata off photos before putting them online. I also would never agree to use crippled code that arbitrarily limits my output resolution, their "solution" to the uselessness of a free editor that won't read the files made by common inexpensive cameras.
        Last edited by Luke; 31 January 2014, 01:54 AM.

Comment

It's in "Free Software" category but Lightworks is currently proprietary.

Comment

Disappointing

Like Aleve, I'm very disappointed to hear that this new 'free' version can only output up to 720p. Thats a major restriction which makes the free version pretty much useless for (semi) pro use and even for most amateur productions and also casts further doubt over us ever seeing the source because if it did get open sourced, there is no way that open code-derived builds would limit you in this way or if that restriction was still in place it'd be promptly removed by a third party hacker.

I hope the KDEnlive hiatus / restructuring doesn't last too long because we need it as much as ever after this shitshell.

Comment

Even a FOSS Lightworks will need to be damned good to comnpete with kdenlive

Originally posted by danboid View Post
              Like Aleve, I'm very disappointed to hear that this new 'free' version can only output up to 720p. Thats a major restriction which makes the free version pretty much useless for (semi) pro use and even for most amateur productions and also casts further doubt over us ever seeing the source because if it did get open sourced, there is no way that open code-derived builds would limit you in this way or if that restriction was still in place it'd be promptly removed by a third party hacker.

I hope the KDEnlive hiatus / restructuring doesn't last too long because we need it as much as ever after this shitshell.
              Remember, in Kdenlive the "free" version is the ONLY version and is fully-enabled, no activation, no bullshit. It can use clips in any codec supported by your ffmpeg install, and output to any codec supported by it, in any resolution and any bitrate, using any ffmpeg option. Although there is a learning curve to power use of Kdenlive, it's very easy to get started, you just drag and drop.

Right now, I only get one serious bug with Kdenlive: playing the timeline to the very end with audio on the track can cause the audio to hang and sometimes make Kdenlive nonresponsive. Keeping a short silent "trash" clip spaced past the end will prevent this bug, which is similar to a bug Audacity had in 2009. The nonuse of GPU acceleration for effects means some effects cannot be played back in realtime and will stutter the playback, but they can be temporarily deselected in playback to work around that. That's a missing feature, not a bug. I'm not sure about this, but I don't think Lightworks uses the GPU to render, only to accelerate effects in playback, something Shotcut can do now with the latest MLT. Should not be too hard to add that to Kdenlive during the refactoring, which I suspect will be done long before Lightworks releases any code.

Even in Lightworks somehow has no unintended bugs whatsoever, to compete with Kdenlive it would have to be as easy to use while simultaniously offering at least as many features. Most other video editors I have tested are either harder to use, have fewer features, or both at once. Cinelerra can do a few things Kdenlive cannot, but is so old it doesn't support modern codecs and thus is useless with my camera. I can't test lightworks due to its untrusted distribution model, but I hear it has a high-learning curve, difficult to use interface (I've seen the screenshots). For that much trouble to be worthwhile it would have to do a lot of things Kdenlive doesn't do, and not be caught by Kdenlive by the time (if ever) the code is opened. Kdenlive is as easy to start using as the simplest consumer video editors, yet is very full featured including deinterlacing and fully capable color correction.

Comment

Working...
              X