Ubuntu's Mir Works Towards Screen-Casting Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
    Not if you want to support casting full-screen apps.
    correct me if i'm wrong here. screen casting is no different than remote access, except the fact that one translates it into something like RDP or uses video compression and forwards it to a client like twitchtv, where only difference is that second doesn't need to handle a lot of things RDP must. as much as i looked up wayland remoting, they are using wayland proxy server in order to dispatch those to compositor, being that remote or not. nor did i see any "hey, doesn't work with full screen"

stacking the whole screen casting thing (casting selection, video compression, network protocols...) into display server is about the same as car putting engine on the key. all well and swell, except your key now weighs a ton and it is hard to put in your pocket.

either that or whole this article is misleading and mir just prepares easy to plug in setup same manner as wayland proxy, which makes whole mir reasoning even more moot

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
      Have you seen the presentations on how fully the internet and many tools have been infiltrated?

a firewall is not enough and good security measures would involve checking that your computer case has not been compromised along with any wires, ports or connectors. Or any custom additions to the motherboard. Removing any wireless connectors and then not plugging it into the internet.

Even then chances are the system can be compromised.

The NSA slides promised that most technical equipment was compromised especially iphones which would be infiltrated "all the time, every time"
      Ugh! Here comes paranoia and NSA...

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        correct me if i'm wrong here. screen casting is no different than remote access, except the fact that one translates it into something like RDP or uses video compression and forwards it to a client like twitchtv, where only difference is that second doesn't need to handle a lot of things RDP must. as much as i looked up wayland remoting, they are using wayland proxy server in order to dispatch those to compositor, being that remote or not. nor did i see any "hey, doesn't work with full screen"

stacking the whole screen casting thing (casting selection, video compression, network protocols...) into display server is about the same as car putting engine on the key. all well and swell, except your key now weighs a ton and it is hard to put in your pocket.

either that or whole this article is misleading and mir just prepares easy to plug in setup same manner as wayland proxy, which makes whole mir reasoning even more moot
        Mir and Wayland work in different ways.
        Wayland is no display server, it's just a protocol to describe how programs should talk to the compositor.
        Mir is a display server and the compositor is a client that connects to Mir. With this approach you can redirect
        full-screen apps directly to the display server which gains some performance but gives the compositor less control.

And yeah what this is about is an interface to provide the rendered frames to a client. If the client uses this for
        creating a screen cast video or implementing RDP doesn't concern Mir.

Comment

Wayland is no display server, it's just a protocol to describe how programs should talk to the compositor.
          Mir is a display server and the compositor is a client that connects to Mir. With this approach you can redirect
          full-screen apps directly to the display server which gains some performance but gives the compositor less control.

And yeah what this is about is an interface to provide the rendered frames to a client. If the client uses this for
          might make more sense to present screen casting as possible usage than as full screen casting inside display server. the original presentation smells like bloatware to me. not to mention it is heavily misleading

but, hey... that's just me and my 2 cents

Comment

Have you seen the presentations on how fully the internet and many tools have been infiltrated?

a firewall is not enough and good security measures would involve checking that your computer case has not been compromised along with any wires, ports or connectors. Or any custom additions to the motherboard. Removing any wireless connectors and then not plugging it into the internet.

Even then chances are the system can be compromised.

The NSA slides promised that most technical equipment was compromised especially iphones which would be infiltrated "all the time, every time"
            Is that you mr Stallman?

But to be honest, I am steering clear of vPro Intel boards

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
              Ugh! Here comes paranoia and NSA...
              Here comes fact free blissful ignorance

Comment

I wonder if this has anything to do with screen casting.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  therefore open hardware..?
                  That may be a part of it... but where do you trust it to be manufactured? some of the tools from the NSA oresentation were tiny, so they can still be planted onto the motherboards etc.

and even with secure computers, internet secrecy is another matter.

even with the new perfect forward security stuff, as the relevant data may be stored for upto 15 years, it just means one additional step to infiltration and lack of privacy instead of all data always being unsecure "by default".

(Another question here is if everyone is at it (NSA is. NSA accuses the chinese of doing similar things...), who is less damaging? So in the US is it "better" to use chinese hardware because they have less interest in you? and vice versa, in China, US hardware?)

Comment

That may be a part of it... but where do you trust it to be manufactured?
                    There are fabs outside US and China ya know.

Comment

But wayland compositors should bypass compositing for fullscreen frames. There should be no overhead at all... at least if the client uses the wl_fullscreen_shell protocol extension, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                      X