Thread: Ubuntu's Mir Works Towards Screen-Casting Support

Hybrid View

Default Ubuntu's Mir Works Towards Screen-Casting Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Mir Works Towards Screen-Casting Support

Mir, the display server currently powering Ubuntu Touch and will be on the desktop side with Ubuntu 14.10, is working on its screen-casting support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4NzQ

Sounds like a nice feature to have built natively into Mir itself.

I hope they include or expose the ability to capture screen video and audio(assocaited with that screen), so Mir can have a built in FRAPs or have a FRAPS made for it easily.

I really hope Mir-grabbing support can be written for FFmpeg. It would be nice to record a OpenGL games and applications.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    I really hope Mir-grabbing support can be written for FFmpeg. It would be nice to record a OpenGL games and applications.
    screencasting in display server? shouldn't this be in compositor? both wayland and mir already treat clients like sinks if i understand correctly, which would also mean you could enable screencasting in any compositor simply by using infrastructure they work on

Quote Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
    screencasting in display server? shouldn't this be in compositor? both wayland and mir already treat clients like sinks if i understand correctly, which would also mean you could enable screencasting in any compositor simply by using infrastructure they work on
    Not if you want to support casting full-screen apps.

Quote Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
    I'm not sure about Mir but Wayland calls for the compositor to be the display server. That was one of the big motivating factors behind Wayland: to have the display server to be transform aware of the windows so no unneeded hops between the thing doing the transforms and the thing serving the final image.