R600g AMD Evergreen Geometry Shaders Proposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
    As much as people complain, I'm actually excited about things. In the last 6 years, the Radeon drivers went from total crap to decent.
    Indeed. 5 years ago, you would have to wait about a year after release of a graphic product to gain linux support, at least proper desktop compositing, working OpenGL, etc.
    Today, I just bought a Kaveri APU, released just 3 weeks ago, and most basic stuff works out a the box : OpenGL, desktop compositing, Xvideo, etc. And all with the free driver.
    Honestly, I'm impressed and pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
      In another 6 years, we might very well have same day feature parody with the proprietary driver
      I'd rather see them just stop developing Catalyst under Linux at all. Wasted effort when Gallium is proving so capable with much fewer resources allocated.

They could still keep it in shape for whatever enterprise compute cluster contracts under Linux they have, I guess, but for the primary desktop (and steambox) they really should be using the kernel integrated open tech.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        I'd rather see them just stop developing Catalyst under Linux at all. Wasted effort when Gallium is proving so capable with much fewer resources allocated.

They could still keep it in shape for whatever enterprise compute cluster contracts under Linux they have, I guess, but for the primary desktop (and steambox) they really should be using the kernel integrated open tech.
        I am all for this. I would love to see the guys working on Catalyst under Linux be transferred to the open source driver. AMD would get even more ahead in the open source department when compared with Nvidia.

Comment

Happy Evergreen user here, thanks Vadim, thanks Dave!

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
            I am all for this. I would love to see the guys working on Catalyst under Linux be transferred to the open source driver. AMD would get even more ahead in the open source department when compared with Nvidia.
            That doesn't make any sense financially. Today the biggest customers on Linux are still professional workstation users, and soon to be Steam Boxes. And both are heavily relying on the binary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
              Uhm, AFAIK, we already have OpenCL, for r600g and radeonsi. I tested bfgminer in my system (6520g + 6750m), and I got the same performance as with fglrx
              It just hasn't been packaged yet by the distros, I suppose, but looks like oibaf added it to his repo: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...436#post393436 .
              tstellar, the main radeon/opencl dev (AFAIK), usually likes to help people, and when someone reports a bug, he fixes things very fast.
              So, yeah, one more feature for us!
              Enabled for now in Fedora Rawhide http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=492200 ; will have to see if they re-disable it before Fedora 21.

Comment

Does anyone know if fedora 20 is going to get mesa 10.x? Or do we have to wait for f21 later this year?

Comment

Working...
                X