R600g AMD Evergreen Geometry Shaders Proposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    It's the same focus all vendors take. There are a number of GL extensions that older Intel chips support in hardware that the open source Intel driver doesn't currently support. In both the Intel and AMD case, the source is there, the documentation is available, and there are developers you can talk to.
    Seriously? So you are telling me that if i want decent driver support for hardware i paid for, i have to either program it myself or pay someone else to do it?

Do you realize how much wrong you are?

Take notice that i don't blame any volunteer/employee of another company for this. I didn't say "Airlie's policies are wrong". I said AMD's driver policy is wrong. There is a difference. You are a programmer, so are surely familiar with logic.

AMD dropped Catalyst support for perfectly valid hardware. They provided their customers with 3 options:

1. Stay with an outdated distro

2. Use open source drivers

3. Switch operating system

Of the 3, the only semi-acceptable solution would be no2, IF they actually made some effort to make them decent. I am not asking for performance on par with fglrx, but when you see dpm and uvd working on freshly released hardware and not the hardware left in the cold, you know AMD is giving you its middle finger.

And it is in situations like this when you get to show them the middle finger as well...
    Last edited by TemplarGR; 30 January 2014, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
      I'm going to cast a vote for "Thank you Mr. Airlie and Mr. Girlin for your work on this.", if I ever meet you, I should like to buy you beer.
      +1
      Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      Also, I love it how the drivers keep improving, yet the moaning stays the same. First it was "we have no 3D, nothing works, this sux", then it was "we have GL, but no DPM, no UVD, this will fry my bgalls, this sux". Then it was "We have full OpenGL, full DPM, full UVD, full performance, but it does not yet work on my specific 10-year old card, this sux".
      we have no fully working OpenCL, this sux. But seriously:
      Haters will hate. The rest of us have virtually fully-features, fully supported OPEN driver instead of fucking around with hundred-megabyte blobs with each kernel upgrade and black screens when it fails.
      So true.
      Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      The problem is people prematurely buy things when they hear a CORPORATION promise to do something they want
      To be fair I did that, too. But I knew that it will take a long time for them + had other reasons to buy AMD hardware, too, so I used fglrx at the beginning (which wasn't funny at all, I can't stop blaming that crap). But today I'm happy with r600g (well, as you said: Some games (one for me, and I have a large catalogue of linux games) don't work, but that's minor and after some research it's almost sure that the game is faulty, not the driver) and I think I would do the same (even with all that fglrx hassle) if I would somehow travel back in time.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
        we have no fully working OpenCL, this sux. But seriously:
        That does suk, but it shouldn't be too far off now

Comment

@TemplarGR
          I suggest you run your own business and see how things work. I'm 24 and even I know that what you're demanding is insanely unreasonable, for several reasons. In fact, so unreasonable that even Intel, of the wealthiest (if not, the wealthies) company in the world, can't even get their linux drivers to catch up with Windows in terms of hardware functionalities. And only recently has intel managed to get their linux drivers to outperform the windows counterpart. Intel has many more developers than AMD who are probably paid much better, AND, intel has been supporting open source drivers long before AMD.

Your complaining is making you look like an ass, because you clearly don't understand that it isn't as simple as doing what is ethical to the customers.

Comment

By the way folks, if you click on a users name and then on "View Profile", on the left side you can select "Add to Ignore List", that will at least hide their posts.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
              guess I should test with real apps instead of piglit :-P

Dave.
              Btw, is it possible to enable this only for specific gens of cards with r600g or does it have to be enabled for all?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Btw, is it possible to enable this only for specific gens of cards with r600g or does it have to be enabled for all?
                Dave's patches only enable it on evergreen and newer. So yes, it can be enabled selectively.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                  I'm going to cast a vote for "Thank you Mr. Airlie and Mr. Girlin for your work on this.", if I ever meet you, I should like to buy you beer.
                  Just wanted to second this. Am grateful for the work being done, even if I don't personally see any direct benefit from most of it.

Comment

Unfortunaltely (bis), Unigine Valley also hangs the GPU

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      Dave's patches only enable it on evergreen and newer. So yes, it can be enabled selectively.
                      Sounds good. Hopefully it ends up stable enough soon that it can be integrated in the Fedora Rawhide versions of relevant packages to expose it into further testing there.

Comment

Working...
                      X