Sapphire Radeon R7 260X: A Great Linux Graphics Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
    On this amd card especially r5 235x and before, you must be carefully because this cards: on r5 235x, r5 235, r5 230 this card is HD6450 (160 shaders / 4 rops) renamed (only differ on stock clocks for example r5 235 stay on 775mhz and r5 235x stay on 875mhz)

And r5 220 is HD5450 renamed (80 shaders / 4 rops)

this links have information about this cards (thanks to gpuboss for information)

Only r5 for this moment have gcn arquitecture is r5 240 if dont appear some radeon vliw4 renamed card

I'm well aware of that. But my point, and the point of AMD for the renaming, is that these are still being actively sold and are good choices for HTPCs. It's the difference between them that interests me. You generally want the quietest, coolest, most energy efficient hardware for HTPCs, which also has just enough power to display accelerated video.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      I, and many more people do serious gaming on GNU/Linux. Like you would say: "Your point?".
      On an AMD card....

Comment

i would go with amd if radeonsi gained gl4 and dpm by default. otherwise nvidia gtx650ti which is same price as this one. there is simply charm in running oss drivers. i would have 0 problems to sacrifice some functionalities in order to avoid blob

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
          On an AMD card....
          I guess I'm a filthy casual then, playing Dota 2, SC2, CS:S and TF2 on my useless HD 6750.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
            I guess I'm a filthy casual then, playing Dota 2, SC2, CS:S and TF2 on my useless HD 6750.
            That's about the way I feel about it. My 7870, 6550 perform excellent. I don't have much problems with stability either. My intel 4000 HD does mostly well, except dota 2 (it stops drawing the HD),
            haven't used my nvidia card in a while as the system is relegated to the family room but it also did well with only a few hiccups.

The Earth just stopped someone at phoronix isn't blindly hating and understands all products have pros and cons.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              i would go with amd if radeonsi gained gl4 and dpm by default. otherwise nvidia gtx650ti which is same price as this one. there is simply charm in running oss drivers. i would have 0 problems to sacrifice some functionalities in order to avoid blob
              radeonsi already has DPM by default. Support for OpenGL 4.0 may come around June if we are lucky.

Comment

Only thing missing is good 2d acceleration. Glamor still has its issues. There are bottlenecks that make a handful of applications terribly slow. There's tearing, and it likes to start segfaulting when upgrading glamor, x11, mesa or any of these closely intertwined components. Back to mesa 9.x for me..

There's a silver lining though. Glamor is being integrated into X, so it'll get more testing, there will be no more version conflicts between X and glamor, and hopefully that leaves more time to work on performance. It'll be a while until the next release though..

3d and UVD I'm happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                  I made the horrible mistake of trusting a phoronix article a while ago (that praised ATI's improving Linux support), and bought an ATI card. What a huge mistake. Sold it and bought Nvidia as soon as possible.
                  If you want to play AAA games on Linux with the binary driver, get Nvidia.
                  I made the mistake of buying an NVidia card recently, and I've already put it up for resale (bought second-hand in light of NVidia's inexistent open-source efforts).
                  It turns out that stability, access to recent kernels, KMS, and not having to deal with three versions of a binary installer is better for my peace of mind.
                  The blob was crashing the system during the night, I was seeing occasional system crashes outside and inside games, and a handful of games were also crashing (without taking down the system) at inconvenient times. Then I had to switch from packages to NVidia's annoying text-only installer, be forced to close my desktop session, narrow down kernel versions that would boot, disable DKMS, figure out that DKMS did work but the CUDA modules didn't build, try again with newer and older drivers, and get the same results. That just takes way too much energy, when the mesa drivers I've returned to just work.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    You generally want the quietest, coolest, most energy efficient hardware for HTPCs, which also has just enough power to display accelerated video.
                    I think the Raspberry Pi qualifies then. Or, if you need more power, one of those Celeron 847 boards.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                      I think the Raspberry Pi qualifies then. Or, if you need more power, one of those Celeron 847 boards.
                      The Raspberry Pi doesn't have a DVB-C CI TV tuner, nor the 2 PCI slots required by one, now does it? Yes, an APU would be ideal, but in my case the current hardware I have doesn't support video out from the motherboard, and it's much simpler to buy a low-end dedicated card for that. Especially since in the future I will be able to use it in a server (the motherboard wouldn't start without a graphics card, and I don't desire much additional power draw).

Comment

Working...
                      X