Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X: A Great Linux Graphics Card

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Athens-Hellas
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Hey Michael now that you have there the A10 7850K APU and the RadeonHD R7 260X how about testing the Dual Graphics feature with Catalyst??
    It would be very interesting to see first if it works and if it is, how it performs under Linux!

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djdoo View Post
    Hey Michael now that you have there the A10 7850K APU and the RadeonHD R7 260X how about testing the Dual Graphics feature with Catalyst??
    It would be very interesting to see first if it works and if it is, how it performs under Linux!
    I don't think it works under Linux... or I haven't figured out how to properly enable it, since so far the efforts have been to no avail.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Athens-Hellas
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I don't think it works under Linux... or I haven't figured out how to properly enable it, since so far the efforts have been to no avail.
    I think it is more or less like what used to be called Hybrid Crossfire so the amdconfig from a terminal should do the work like it does with classic Crossfire setups?? I used to have Hybrid Crossfire with Catalyst with an integrated Radeon HD 4250 and a discrete Radeon HD 3470 back then. Just guessing...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I don't think it works under Linux... or I haven't figured out how to properly enable it, since so far the efforts have been to no avail.
    Aside from djdoo's comment, another thing to keep in mind is most full-screen graphical tasks in linux don't use crossfire. I tried about 10 different games on my crossfire setup and none of them worked. The only thing that worked was the Heaven benchmark.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    You generally want the quietest, coolest, most energy efficient hardware for HTPCs, which also has just enough power to display accelerated video.
    Why would I want that? That'd be fine if you where never going to play a game. But if you game you get decently fast hardware and really good aftermarket cooling and it ends up being as quiet or even more quiet then your rinky dink hardware with th stock cooler.

    So what you end up with a slightly larger HTPC case, it's not much bigger then my surround sound amp. If you are going through the trouble of building an HTPC you may as well build an actual theater in your living room. Nothing better then waking up the neighbors when watching something like Machete Kills or playing Metro: Last Light.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Why would I want that? That'd be fine if you where never going to play a game. But if you game you get decently fast hardware and really good aftermarket cooling and it ends up being as quiet or even more quiet then your rinky dink hardware with th stock cooler.

    So what you end up with a slightly larger HTPC case, it's not much bigger then my surround sound amp. If you are going through the trouble of building an HTPC you may as well build an actual theater in your living room. Nothing better then waking up the neighbors when watching something like Machete Kills or playing Metro: Last Light.
    I don't game on HTPCs. There are desktops for that purpose. Desktops with keyboards and mice.
    You really can't get any more quiet than passive cooling. And more powerful hardware means higher energy draw, which means increased electricity bills.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I don't game on HTPCs. There are desktops for that purpose. Desktops with keyboards and mice.
    You really can't get any more quiet than passive cooling. And more powerful hardware means higher energy draw, which means increased electricity bills.
    You can passively cool midrange GPUs. In fact I'veen top of the line GPUs run fanless, the 8800GTX with a Thermalright HR-03GT and an HR-11 backplate cooler managed to stay just under max operating temperatures under load.

    You can passively cool lower midrange CPUs as well, especially if you under volt them.

    You can get PSUs like the Seasonic X series that run fanless unless they get too hot.

    A 120mm-250mm 800RPM @ 12v case fan is inaudible.

    The power draw under video playback is negligible.

    Don't limit yourself artificially, the HTPC can be allot more if you put some effort into it.

    KB/M suck for allot of games, hence all of the Linux games on Steam that have controller support. Also I have a "TV tray" for a bluetooth KB and Mouse for the few games that don't map well to a controller.

    In the battle between my recliner couch or Lay-Z-Boy and my desk chair my ass always chooses the recliner couch or Lay-Z-Boy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •