Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Updated Source Engine Benchmarks On The Latest AMD/NVIDIA Linux Drivers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,411

    Default Updated Source Engine Benchmarks On The Latest AMD/NVIDIA Linux Drivers

    Phoronix: Updated Source Engine Benchmarks On The Latest AMD/NVIDIA Linux Drivers

    Benchmarks of Valve's Source Engine games (and other Steam titles for that matter) aren't done in all Phoronix driver tests and graphics card articles for various reasons, among which is that there's other more GPU-demanding OpenGL tests to utilize for modern hardware. However, for those curious about the performance of various AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards using the latest proprietary drivers, here's some updated numbers.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20724

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Or to put it differently: it doesn't matter what brand you choose when using the proprietary driver. It's more than fast enough in those cases.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oleid View Post
    Or to put it differently: it doesn't matter what brand you choose when using the proprietary driver. It's more than fast enough in those cases.
    It still does, the AMD cards can often drop frames and fluctuate between low and very high FPS. These readings are just peak FPS and tell nothing of the story of fluid gameplay.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post
    It still does, the AMD cards can often drop frames and fluctuate between low and very high FPS. These readings are just peak FPS and tell nothing of the story of fluid gameplay.
    PTS does have the ms/frame benchmark, I guess Michael hasn't tested that aspect.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BSDude View Post
    PTS does have the ms/frame benchmark, I guess Michael hasn't tested that aspect.
    The Source Engine doesn't currently expose the necessary information to PTS for exposing the ms/frame data.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    using the latest proprietary drivers
    Beta or non-beta?

    Catalyst betas are usually lightyears ahead of the "stable" release for known reasons.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oleid View Post
    Or to put it differently: it doesn't matter what brand you choose when using the proprietary driver. It's more than fast enough in those cases.
    Based on pure numbers, sure, but in all around performance and feedback, nvidia's drivers are arguably the best you can use in linux. Intel's drivers (as a whole) are 2nd best, but depending on the GPU you use, AMD's open source drivers are, IMO, better than intel's.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The Source Engine doesn't currently expose the necessary information to PTS for exposing the ms/frame data.
    It doesn't need to when using libframetime

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oleid View Post
    Or to put it differently: it doesn't matter what brand you choose when using the proprietary driver. It's more than fast enough in those cases.
    Except Catalyst is terrible for any desktop related task, and can be rather unstable....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
    Except Catalyst is terrible for any desktop related task, and can be rather unstable....
    You're to kind... their (OpenGL) drivers are teribble.

    I'm afraid there won't be many 'happy' AMD based Steam-gamers in 2015 when Valve is releasing their Game-console platform. Just take a look al the open bugs in valve's issue tracker (Jira).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •