Thread: OpenGL 3.3 Support Lands For RadeonSI Gallium3D

Hybrid View

Default OpenGL 3.3 Support Lands For RadeonSI Gallium3D

Phoronix: OpenGL 3.3 Support Lands For RadeonSI Gallium3D

A few days ago we talked about OpenGL 3.3 support coming to the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver in the form of mailing list patches, but as of a few hours ago the work has been mainlined inside Mesa. The next Mesa release will feature OpenGL 3.3 RadeonSI support!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4NjI

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix
    While this newer Radeon Gallium3D driver now supports OpenGL 3.3, the R600g driver still only supports OpenGL 3.1 but there's a Git branch of Mesa working towards GL 3.3 compliance on this driver that supports the Radeon HD 3000 through Radeon HD 6000 series GPUs.
    Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
    Its not really a backporting type of situation the hw is quite different, and the compiler is as well.

Vadim started working on it and I've been fixing bugs in that code for a while, but its maybe something i can play with for about 3-4 hrs a week, so unless someone else picks it up I'd expect it when I get to it :-), its also evergreen and newer only so far, and requires R600_DEBUG=nosb to run anything.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied...0-geom-shaders
    Is it going to be 5000+ only? Can we expect support for 2/3/4K series too?

I wonder why nobody has asked for subroutine uniforms yet, they seem incredibly useful to me.. hopefully they will be implemented before tessellation shaders.

Great!

Maybe someone wants to update RadeonFeature? It still claims OpenGL 2.1 for RadeonSI.

By the way, it seems that LLVM >=3.5 is required to have all these latest bells and whitles.

Quote Originally Posted by jsa1983 View Post
    By the way, it seems that LLVM >=3.5 is required to have all these latest bells and whitles.
    I'd to say it's not a good idea to put radeon's backend to the upstream llvm. Now we need to wait for an year instead of 3-6 months to get the latest shader backend released.

Quote Originally Posted by zxy_thf View Post
    I'd to say it's not a good idea to put radeon's backend to the upstream llvm. Now we need to wait for an year instead of 3-6 months to get the latest shader backend released.
    I thought that LLVM was going to attempt both point releases (so 3.4.1 and such), and I'd like to dream of a hopefully slightly faster release schedule.

That being said, you can have it today if you build from source:

Code:
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD PITCAIRN
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.0-devel (git-50762f4)
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30

Quote Originally Posted by zxy_thf View Post
    For opensuse i build and share llvm-svn\mesa-git.rpm every 2-3 days, and all opensuse users can enjoy OGL 3.3 just now. Or all users can download my livecd for opengl 3.3 tests.