Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Its First 64-bit ARM Server CPU

Phoronix: AMD Announces Its First 64-bit ARM Server CPU

At Facebook's Open Compute Summit the folks at AMD have announced their first 64-bit ARM-based server CPU. AMD will soon begin sampling of this AMD Opteron A1100 series processor and evaluation board...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

damn AMD is not kidding around with these opterons. Makes me question their power efficiency though, because what's the point of using ARM if it isn't power efficient? I think its good we've got another active contender in the 64 bit ARM market now that Calxeda is out, and AMD being a lot more open-source friendly than many of the other ARM designers should be a bonus.

Comment

I just built a home server, but I'll still look forward to the test results. Hopefully this will give AMD a better position in the market.

Comment

Fedora seems like a strange choice for server os to me. Does this processor support kvm?

Comment

Originally posted by philip550c View Post
          Fedora seems like a strange choice for server os to me [...]
          I thought so, too. It seems not so strange, however, if you consider that most of the ARM64 development is quite new and therefore you need a distribution with a lot of new stuff built inside.

Comment

Unless I'm missing something, only thing I'm not liking about this is that they are using UEFI on ARM... don't Microsoft disallow UEFI secure boot to be disabled?

Comment

Originally posted by halion View Post
              Unless I'm missing something, only thing I'm not liking about this is that they are using UEFI on ARM... don't Microsoft disallow UEFI secure boot to be disabled?
              Who is that crappy MiFUUsoft to disallow something? They just claimed that if you'd like to have a "Windows 8-compatible" sticker, then you should enable UEFI secure boot (and disallow to disable it on ARM). Who cares about Windows 8 on server? Nice joke!

Comment

With specs like these, it would give a nice workstation too. 8 cores, lots of ram, pcie3, sata and gigabit, add an nvidia gpu and things could get interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                  With specs like these, it would give a nice workstation too. 8 cores, lots of ram, pcie3, sata and gigabit, add an nvidia gpu and things could get interesting...
                  ARM is very slow at heavy tasks. Also, what about software compatibility?

Comment

Originally posted by halion View Post
                    What has Microsoft to do with it? Microsoft doesn't has a OS for Server ARM SoCs and the manufacturer has to choose the UEFI Settings. If a manufacturer that the SoC for Windows RT then he has do lock Secureboot to a Microsoft Only key.

Comment

Working...
                    X