Thread: My 10 Minute Experience With PC-BSD 10.0

Hybrid View

Default My 10 Minute Experience With PC-BSD 10.0

Phoronix: My 10 Minute Experience With PC-BSD 10.0

With FreeBSD 10.0 having been released and the final release of the PC-BSD 10.0 coming this week, I decided to try out the PC-BSD 10.0-RC5 ahead of the final release. While I intended to run some benchmarks of FreeBSD/PC-BSD 10.0 against its predecessor and compared to Linux distributions, this initial PC-BSD 10.0 encounter was cut short after about ten minutes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4NTc

Haswell isn't currently supported by the Intel KMS code - it's a work-in-progress, but they need to update their DRM code first: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics.

It should be fine on Ivy Bridge and earlier intel graphics.

Is there any chance you could be persuaded to give an AMD graphics card a test on PCBSD? It looks like radeonsi isn't supported yet, but r600g benchmarks (or even simple tests) would be interesting.

If I install/try this, it will be because of the various incompatible Nvidia installers on Ubuntu, just a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
    If I install/try this, it will be because of the various incompatible Nvidia installers on Ubuntu, just a pain in the ass.
    It's too hard for you to use repositories? What installers are you talking about?

Question Why is PC-BSD still so slow?

I am still curious about BSD, or even Solaris (OpenIndiana or whatever), but the last time I tried PC-BSD (v.7 I guess) it was sluggish and really not worth the switch from Windows for instance. On the same machine 3y-old machine Ubuntu was working perfectly well, so I never looked back again.

In the article Michael mentioned dd'ing the image to an usb stick and then booting off it in efi mode. Michael what was the motherboard you used in the test? I had problems with dd'ing the image, the mobo just won't find the stick in the boot menu. I had to burn it to a DVD but even then I'd get hangs. I was forced to install it through legacy bios. I have an ASRock Fatal1ty killer motherboard. Thanks for your time.