Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weston-Forked Libinput Is Moving Forward With Input

Phoronix: Weston-Forked Libinput Is Moving Forward With Input

X.Org input expert Peter Hutterer is moving forward with his work on libinput, a fork of the Weston input handling code into its own library so that it's independent of the compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yay
    this was one big thing i know is/was missing with wayland

Comment

They should have named it libwayland-input instead...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Why? It has nothing to do with wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          If I remember correctly Wayland deals directly with Evdev and udev events (please correct me if Im wrong), there's no "XInput" or similar layer above it. So yes, this library probably has a Wayland-leaning focus, It should also work as a generic "Im low level but dont want to deal with evdev / udev myself personally for input"
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

it's a library to sit in between your display server (weston, xorg, mutter-wayland, etc) and your hardware. it's not tied to any particular window system, and also has zero impact on clients.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
              it's a library to sit in between your display server (weston, xorg, mutter-wayland, etc) and your hardware. it's not tied to any particular window system, and also has zero impact on clients.
              Thank you Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                If I remember correctly Wayland deals directly with Evdev and udev events (please correct me if Im wrong), there's no "XInput" or similar layer above it. So yes, this library probably has a Wayland-leaning focus, It should also work as a generic "Im low level but dont want to deal with evdev / udev myself personally for input"
                Libinput, which seems like it should be integrated with the common compositor library that was created recently, registers with udev and is event based thus I'd imagine it's using evdev directly.
                Just read Daniel's post and I see why they didn't integrate the code.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  Libinput, which seems like it should be integrated with the common compositor library that was created recently, registers with udev and is event based thus I'd imagine it's using evdev directly.
                  Just read Daniel's post and I see why they didn't integrate the code.
                  just to clarify: it -was- integrated but it was now ripped out and made separate after it was field tested in Weston and they are comfortable with it

Comment

Working...
                  X