Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Nouveau Gallium3D Now Supports OpenGL 3.2, 3.3

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werfu View Post
    Couldn't tessalation be implented manually using an OpenCL kernel? That's what I was thinking of. It would be slower than having it hardware accelerated, but it could still be possible using software.
    You can emulate tesselation in the geometry shader. Dunno why you would want to..

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    Is there any major work missing? Or in other words: Could you give us a small briefup what's hindering this code from being mainlined?

    Other than that I just hope the codes are ready soon. It's a little shame seeing that all others have it before r600g.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    You can emulate tesselation in the geometry shader. Dunno why you would want to..
    Why so serious, about tessalation? Yes, in the benchmarks (Unigine) looks good, but from games I have seen, with/without tessalation visual difference is not that great, but it is major FPS killer, and playing game the last thing I do is looking at the rocks on the road and say: "What a rocks, maaaan!"

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    Is there any major work missing? Or in other words: Could you give us a small briefup what's hindering this code from being mainlined?

    Other than that I just hope the codes are ready soon. It's a little shame seeing that all others have it before r600g.
    It has two main problems,

    a) gpu hangs with one or two tests left to track down

    b) doesn't work yet with r600g sb backend or llvm backends, the first is a stopper, the second I'm not sure I care enough about yet.

    With these fixed and the code cleaned up a bit, it should be fine to merge.

    Dave.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
    Boy, I am really disappointed in YKW....
    How its possible to write an article and not mention the fact that in essence all NV50 class cards, have feature party with binary driver now....
    I don't think that is true. They may support the same gl version but I'd imagine nvidia's driver includes some extensions.
    Regardless you're right that it should've been mentioned if true.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
    a) gpu hangs with one or two tests left to track down
    Indeed, I launched Metro: Last Light and GPU hanged (without sb).

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    You can emulate tesselation in the geometry shader. Dunno why you would want to..
    Perhaps to allow some games that use tesselation shaders to run, albeit at a slower framerate considering the software fallbacks that are needed for supporting the extension that's unimplemented or poorly implemented in the hardware. That would be a crutch until the user upgrades the card to one that does implement the h/w necessary to support those GL4 extensions.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeepDayze View Post
    Perhaps to allow some games that use tesselation shaders to run, albeit at a slower framerate considering the software fallbacks that are needed for supporting the extension that's unimplemented or poorly implemented in the hardware. That would be a crutch until the user upgrades the card to one that does implement the h/w necessary to support those GL4 extensions.
    Is there any game out there that actually requires tessellation shaders though? I think Crysis is the one example people come up with, and it's very definitely an optional feature that could be turned off if your card doesn't support it. Better to just turn it off than have one section of the game run like molasses.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    You can emulate tesselation in the geometry shader. Dunno why you would want to..
    Geometry shaders aren't as efficient as dedicated hardware tessellation units for high tessellation factors and you will notice a huge FPS drop. They work best with generating simple quads (particle effects) or cube maps on the fly.

    OpenCL is not any better in this regard because of buffer ping pongs and stalls in rendering pipeline (aside from dealing with buggy and inconsistent OCL implementations).

    However there is dedicated hardware tessellation unit (limited to 16x tessellation factor vs 64x on OGL4 capable hardware) on AMD RadeonHD 2/3/4K series which are OGL3 cards (TruForm successor?) . It will be fantastic to have support for this extension in r600g: AMD_vertex_shader_tessellator

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
    Boy, I am really disappointed in YKW....
    How its possible to write an article and not mention the fact that in essence all NV50 class cards, have feature party with binary driver now....
    Because feature parity requires CUDA, OpenCL and video decode acceleration hardware support. OpenCL only covers the 3d side.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •