Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nouveau Gallium3D Now Supports OpenGL 3.2, 3.3

Hybrid View

Default Nouveau Gallium3D Now Supports OpenGL 3.2, 3.3

Phoronix: Nouveau Gallium3D Now Supports OpenGL 3.2, 3.3

With a fresh round of Mesa Git commits on Monday morning the support landed for OpenGL 3.2 and OpenGL 3.3 within Nouveau's NV50 and NVC0 Gallium3D drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4NDg

Boy, I am really disappointed in YKW....
    How its possible to write an article and not mention the fact that in essence all NV50 class cards, have feature party with binary driver now....

when will r600 get 3.3. support

Quote Originally Posted by sharan View Post
    when will r600 get 3.3. support
    There is WIP support here:
    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~airlied...0-geom-shaders

Sweet! GL4 is now the next step, which will lande some nice new extension allowing even better performance on supporting hardware.

I do wonder however if non compliant hardware like the NV50 will get GL4 support. What happens to extensions that doesn't have hardware support, do they get implemented on CPU or using GPU-compute?

Interestingly, the OpenGL 3.3 changes for Nouveau were committed, while the OpenGL 3.3 updates for RadeonSI are still outstanding -- have not yet been committed. The patch set seems to be about the same size. Anyone know why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by werfu View Post
    I do wonder however if non compliant hardware like the NV50 will get GL4 support. What happens to extensions that doesn't have hardware support, do they get implemented on CPU or using GPU-compute?
    It's unlikely that NV50 would get GL4.0 -- that requires tesselation shaders, which NV50-class cards just don't have. The proprietary driver also only goes up to GL3.3 (for nv50), but also exposes a bunch of GL4-era extensions that are possible to implement using the hardware available. (Nouveau is definitely behind in that regard, but working on it!)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    Testers wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    Is there any major work missing? Or in other words: Could you give us a small briefup what's hindering this code from being mainlined?

Other than that I just hope the codes are ready soon. It's a little shame seeing that all others have it before r600g.

Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    Is there any major work missing? Or in other words: Could you give us a small briefup what's hindering this code from being mainlined?

Other than that I just hope the codes are ready soon. It's a little shame seeing that all others have it before r600g.
    It has two main problems,

a) gpu hangs with one or two tests left to track down

b) doesn't work yet with r600g sb backend or llvm backends, the first is a stopper, the second I'm not sure I care enough about yet.

With these fixed and the code cleaned up a bit, it should be fine to merge.

Dave.