24-Way AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce Linux Graphics Card Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24-Way AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce Linux Graphics Card Comparison

Phoronix: 24-Way AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce Linux Graphics Card Comparison

After this weekend carrying out a 25-way open-source Linux graphics driver comparison featuring AMD Radeon, Intel HD Graphics, and NVIDIA GeForce hardware, the tables have now turned to look at nearly the same assortment of hardware but when using the high-performance, proprietary Linux graphics drivers. We've also upped the demanding OpenGL benchmarks used -- including the Source Engine -- as we see how the AMD and NVIDIA binary graphics drivers are doing to start 2014.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In terms of why some other Steam Linux games are not tested, read about running benchmarks on other new Linux games.
    In case you missed it.

Comment

"please subscribe to Phoronix Premium or consider a PayPal tip, but at the very least please do not use AdBlock when viewing Phoronix"

Michael,
      I would myself consider paypal but that have changed when from what I know they canceled Julian's A. account. On that note I would be willing to send some amount in Litecoin [LTC] and would welcome LTC account number listed on site or BTC for that matter

Comment

I don't really care about AMD's closed source drivers at all. I would rather see AMD's Open Source drivers versus NVIDIA's Closed Source drivers. I found it funny that this didn't even use any of the same benchmarks used for the open source benchmark reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          I don't really care about AMD's closed source drivers at all. I would rather see AMD's Open Source drivers versus NVIDIA's Closed Source drivers. I found it funny that this didn't even use any of the same benchmarks used for the open source benchmark reviews.
          The closed-source drivers can handle Unigine Valley/Heaven and other more demanding tests where as the open-source ones can't (at least not without overriding environment variables and other non-default tweaks and likely rendering issues).
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: 24-Way AMD Radeon vs. NVIDIA GeForce Linux Graphics Card Comparison

After this weekend carrying out a 25-way open-source Linux graphics driver comparison featuring AMD Radeon, Intel HD Graphics, and NVIDIA GeForce hardware, the tables have now turned to look at nearly the same assortment of hardware but when using the high-performance, proprietary Linux graphics drivers. We've also upped the demanding OpenGL benchmarks used -- including the Source Engine -- as we see how the AMD and NVIDIA binary graphics drivers are doing to start 2014.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19769
            Captain Pig to a squad, captain Pig to a squad.
            We are flying over dimkos house. Please oink, so he has confirmation of our flying pig squadron flying, cause Michael just posted source game benchmark!!!!

Michael Appreciated!
            Also, would be super mega awesome if similar confirmation was done on AMD rig, to see about how much Intel pwnes my beloved AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              The closed-source drivers can handle Unigine Valley/Heaven and other more demanding tests where as the open-source ones can't (at least not without overriding environment variables and other non-default tweaks and likely rendering issues).
              There are no rendering issues. You just have to override the GLSL version, or wait for the GL3.3 support to be committed to master, which looks like it should be coming very soon now.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                That doesn't mean you can't run some of the same benchmarks for both. Besides, Valley runs fine without rendering issues with just adding two export variables before launching it. Nonetheless, that wasn't the point of my comment.

Comment

@Michael don't you have the R290 anymore? It would be interesting to see if the performance is getting any better yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
                    @Michael don't you have the R290 anymore? It would be interesting to see if the performance is getting any better yet.
                    Read the article why it wasn't tested...
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X