X.Org Server Systemd Integration Proposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    It's an optional dependency, so you should be fine.
    As long as it stays like that, no problem. I just don't hope it becomes optional for xorg the way its "optional" for GNOME.

In fact I don't really have any problems with systemd support for xorg, but I am a bit worried for the direction things are going.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
      Maybe you should start by telling why your XFCE can't use systemd.
      I can and I do run XFCE with both uClibc and musl libc and I hope it continues that way. The worry I have is that in some day in future it will not be possible to run new versions of xorg without systemd.

I perfectly understand that this is not any problem *now*, but based on what has happened with other projects (like udev and GNOME) I am worried about the direction things are going.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
        Yes, but he's also reading the article wrongly. The article never claims X will depend on systemd.
        I stand corrected.

I hope it stays that way.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          Pulseaudio is fine for things like playing back music/videos or playing wooshy sounds on startup.

If you need anything with low latencies, it becomes worse than useless - actually an obstacle. Every serious audio application on Linux considers PA a joke or afterthought, and uses either ALSA or Jack as main audio backends.
          Uhm... are you aware of the effort that's fine into getting pa and jack to work together? So you can make use of pa for playback and when you want to record your midi soundtrack pa is supposed to give way to jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            If you run Cinnamon with pulseaudio removed (or the binaries deleted/made not executable), the only things that don't work are the cinnamon volume control and cinnamon sounds.
            No, if you run Cinnamon v2.0 with pulseaudio removed you're stuck at login because the session doesn't load.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              Uhm... are you aware of the effort that's fine into getting pa and jack to work together? So you can make use of pa for playback and when you want to record your midi soundtrack pa is supposed to give way to jack.
              Depends on what you mean by playback. You can use PA for playback of videos or music files or flash or what have you. But if you mean playback as in playing back audio from a multitrack DAW, then nope, you still can't use PA, because if there's any realtime rendering involved, any effects/DSP, or anything else that needs to be responsive to realtime user input, the latency of PA is simply intolerable.

There's ways to make PA play nice with Jack, sure. The way it works is either that Jack runs all the time and PA uses Jack as a backend (instead of using ALSA directly), and that lets normal applications use PA, while actual audio applications use Jack directly. Or, you configure PA to suspend when you start up Jack, and restart afterwards, so that they're never running at the same time.

Comment

PA 4.0 had a bug fix for "graceful" handoff between pa and jack. Also, since you're using a daw to produce the music I wouldn't call that playback but music production.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  There's ways to make PA play nice with Jack, sure. The way it works is either that Jack runs all the time and PA uses Jack as a backend (instead of using ALSA directly), and that lets normal applications use PA, while actual audio applications use Jack directly. Or, you configure PA to suspend when you start up Jack, and restart afterwards, so that they're never running at the same time.
                  Also, apparently you can set PA to use your integrated soundcard and Jack to use a dedicated one.
                  I have no idea of the common setup of people working in audio, but probably they would have a dedicated high end soundcard, and most MB have a built-in one.

Comment

Sessionn not loading in Cinnamon not caused by PA absence

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                    No, if you run Cinnamon v2.0 with pulseaudio removed you're stuck at login because the session doesn't load.
                    I am running the PPA version of Cinnamon right now, with Pulseaudio removed and an empty dummy package substituted. I use the Ubuntu PPA versions from Trusty, right now from this package: cinnamon_2.0.14-20140129040047-trusty_amd64.deb .

Beginning somewhere around version 2.05 or so, I ran into sessions refusing to load. I rolled back to version 2.0 for weeks until I noticed that after an update that failed to load at runtime, .xsession-errors showed the session crashing over the absence of cinnamon-screensaver. The session should not have been written to fail on that, the fix would be a custom session if for some reason you could not install the screensaver-of if the session in the future refuses to load in the absence of Pulseaudio. When Cinnamon sessions won't load, Cinnamon will still run by sibstitution for another window manager or starting X directly into it.

It would suck if I have to fork Cinnamon-session for my own use, but it should not be too difficult if it comes to that. This is what I like about open-source software: if you don't like something or know a better way, you can change it to suit your needs. I still remember an issue back in 2009 with Audacity where sliders in the compressor didn't work, so I downloaded the source code, changed the numbers for the compressor's defaults in the source to the ones I always use, and recompiled. This worked until the sliders were fixed and my hand edit was no longer required,

Comment

Working...
                    X