Intel Continues Optimizing Counter-Strike: GO For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    While we're at it, lets make all music open source!
    That'd be great, actually. Getting sheets with the cds would be very nice. Not even sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      That'd be great, actually. Getting sheets with the cds would be very nice. Not even sarcasm.
      Someone still buys cd's?

Music + sheets doesn't really translate to open source though, because you can't just take a sheet of music and recreate the exact version of the original song from it.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Someone still buys cd's?
        Yes, my favorite artists don't offer direct donations. One can also hope that the smaller label (Napalm) takes less of a cut than the big ones.

Music + sheets doesn't really translate to open source though, because you can't just take a sheet of music and recreate the exact version of the original song from it.
        I'd say it's exactly open source. Just like you won't be able to get an identical binary from C source due to different compilers, settings, and such, but you do get the product if you have the skill to do so.

While "reverse engineering" music is easier than sw, it's still not fast or fun :P

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          I really don't understand why they don't release CS:GO now. I mean, chances are it would at least work on the Nvidia driver, and it would probably make the development process faster to have more users testing it. Also, I'm impatient...
          maybe at the steam machine official debut ?

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
            Wolfenstein Enemy Territory > that thing
            did you know? it's also free as in freedom
            Never knew that game was free. As nice as that is though, I'm not a fan of Wolfenstein's theme. That alone is why I prefer CS:GO.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Yes, my favorite artists don't offer direct donations. One can also hope that the smaller label (Napalm) takes less of a cut than the big ones.
              I thought CD's were just used as coasters now. Really, some people still buy them? Wow.

I'd say it's exactly open source. Just like you won't be able to get an identical binary from C source due to different compilers, settings, and such, but you do get the product if you have the skill to do so.

While "reverse engineering" music is easier than sw, it's still not fast or fun :P
              No that's very disingenuous to say. Firstly, you can get consistent binaries if you enable deterministic building. And even if the binaries aren't identical, the software functionality, interface etc. usually is the same - different OS or DE may have some effect, but the basic, fundamental core of the program is the "same".

But you can't automatically take a sheet of music and produce something even remotely resemblant of the original musical piece - there's so much more in music that isn't really recorded in notes or sheets: the instruments used and their individual sound qualities, all the effects and amplifiers used for the instruments, the individual quality and timbre of the vocalist (if any), recording conditions and equipment, mixing, mastering... so many variables. In fact, if you take a sheet of music, play and record it, you don't produce a copy or instance of the original musical piece (like you do with software) - you produce a cover, which is your own unique reinterpretation of the original musical piece.

If there's any area where "open source" applies to music it's purely electronic music, made with sequencers, samples and synths which are capable of producing deterministic output. There, you can distribute the original project file of the audio application and expect someone to be able to recreate the exact original track. That's how computer-created music was distributed for a long time, before efficient audio compression was invented - we had things called "modules" which were distributed via BBS's. This was pre-internet time.

But as soon as you add in humans to the mix, it all gets more messy and complicated. Machines are predictable. Humans aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                I thought CD's were just used as coasters now. Really, some people still buy them? Wow.
                Well, they gather dust for me too after ripping, but at least I showed some support to the artists I like

But you can't automatically take a sheet of music and produce something even remotely resemblant of the original musical piece - there's so much more in music that isn't really recorded in notes or sheets: the instruments used and their individual sound qualities, all the effects and amplifiers used for the instruments, the individual quality and timbre of the vocalist (if any), recording conditions and equipment, mixing, mastering... so many variables. In fact, if you take a sheet of music, play and record it, you don't produce a copy or instance of the original musical piece (like you do with software) - you produce a cover, which is your own unique reinterpretation of the original musical piece.
                But as soon as you add in humans to the mix, it all gets more messy and complicated. Machines are predictable. Humans aren't.
                Certainly, but you must take into account that the concepts can't apply 1:1. For example, you could call food open-source if it came with the recipe, despite the fact you can't get an exact match no matter what.

Comment

It's probably gonna have too much input lag anyway, like the other games released so far. I have all games installed on Linux, but I still boot into Windows to play them. I can't stand the Linux input lag.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    It's probably gonna have too much input lag anyway, like the other games released so far. I have all games installed on Linux, but I still boot into Windows to play them. I can't stand the Linux input lag.
                    Is the input delay actually a Linux thing (affects everyone)? Or is it specific to your hardware, or the games?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                      Is the input delay actually a Linux thing (affects everyone)? Or is it specific to your hardware, or the games?
                      It seems to affect every one of their games. L4D2, Portal, CS 1.6, CSCZ, CSS, all of them have worse input lag in Linux compared to Windows. I'm using a GTX 780.

Comment

Working...
                      X