Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• state of UVD/XvBA in Linux

Hi everybody,

i am setting up my new PC right now. It is build around a AMD Richland APU. I thought it would be nice to have hardware acceleration for video. i installed fglrx (13.11 beta9). And that is where things start to get weird. As far as i know i need VAAPI to get hw acceleration in VLC, so i installed libva. vainfo says it can not load fglrx_drv_video.so. so i downloaded xvba-sdk from amd and checked out the "head" from freedesktop.org/vaapi/xvba-driver. i ran make and got compilattion errors:
    • VAEncH264VUIBufferType undefined
    • VAEncH264SEIBufferType undefined
    • query_surface_status_glx undefined

no clue what is going on, so i used google to check out. Found a conversation in a mailing list, where somebody said those symbols (VAEncH264*) where removed from the VAAPI. To solve my compilation errors i had to remove those lines of code. "solved" the third error the same way - removed the code snippet where it was used (not sure about the consequence). compiled and installed xvba-driver. now vainfo says everything is fine. cpu load went down from ~45% to ~30% when watching HD video files.

thinking about what i had to do to get there... it feels like i am doing something wrong. Am i using a outdated code for xvba-driver? is it even the right way to get support for UVD?
    I expected to get better results once i have hardware acceleration running. CPU is still around 30%, which seems high. Unfortunately i have not used Windows on this hardware yet, so i can not compare the results.

thx in advance for you input,
    eugen

Originally posted by deadite66
    XvBA is effectively abandoned by AMD, vdpau via the OSS drivers is the new way to go.
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854
    nice to know, thx for the info.

is there any reason why somebody would choose catalyst over the open source radeon driver today?

Comment

Working...
    X