Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devius View Post
    What JavaScript problem?
    You to live under a rock - you no know why JS sucks - your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      No, the web/js/java suck as desktop replacements. And don't tell me js/java are different things I'm myself telling this to people for the last 13 years.
      Asm.js sucks too, it's not meant to be used by programmers, rather by tools, it's not a cure to the JavaScript problem, it's a painkiller.
      Then why are you mixing Java and Javascript in every sentence?
      Why does web technology?s, or Java suck as a desktop replacement?

Yes Asm.js is meant to be used by tool, why do you care if the result of compiling your code is binary or Asm.js?

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
        Then why are you mixing Java and Javascript in every sentence?
        Why does web technology?s, or Java suck as a desktop replacement?

Yes Asm.js is meant to be used by tool, why do you care if the result of compiling your code is binary or Asm.js?
        bla bla butthurt bla bla

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          bla bla butthurt bla bla
          Oh, that were a real grown up argument. Congratulations!

Comment

cmon guys get a grip!

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              What JavaScript problem?
              That JavaScript is a bad language, both to write in and to use as a compilation target for other, possibly better languages? But we're stuck with it forever, because the people who write web browsers will never agree on something more appropriate for either?

Comment

Originally posted by dolio View Post
                That JavaScript is a bad language, both to write in and to use as a compilation target for other, possibly better languages? But we're stuck with it forever, because the people who write web browsers will never agree on something more appropriate for either?
                I wouldn't say Javascript is bad, sure it have some problems but not more that C. However what
                is bad is the DOM but that is W3Cs fault, not JS. And there is of course problems with trying to
                use a technique to more than it were designed for. When JS were designed no one could ever
                imagine that we would write big webapps.

Asm.js isn't meant to be executed as JS, that is only a feature to support backwards compatibility.
                Browsers that support Asm.js pass it to a whole different parser. Browsers that doesn't support
                Asm.js can still execute the code, is that a bad thing?

Dart is in the process of being handled by ECMA, lets see what happens after that. And it can
                also compile to JS so you can start using it right now even for production.

Comment

Originally posted by dolio View Post
                  That JavaScript is a bad language, both to write in and to use as a compilation target for other, possibly better languages?
                  Why is it a bad language?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
                    ..for a speedy javascript experiences.
                    lol. yeah right. "Speedy Javascript" is way behind native code, even ASM.js, and until Javascript is.. not Javascript, it will always be so. Performance requires memory control, compile-time type checking, and access to low-level hardware intrinsics like SIMD. I mean, all ASM.js really does it use JS syntax as a bytecode for a VM that supports some of those things... so why not simply use a bytecode without the historical baggage of JS (like LLVM)? Oh that's right, so it can run on "any" browser, whoopty doo. I can write a Native app in Nimrod/C/C++/etc, compile to Javascript, and get just as much "portability", without sacrificing performance on platforms that really matter. ASM.js is great for devs who website devs, but is a stupid idea for most other applications. We already have native code or faster VMs available. Let's not all subject our core software technology to the slow-as-molasses bureaucratic in-fighting of massive, for-profit corporations who's only real interest is capitalizing off their browser's popularity. I mean, Google's NaCL is already way beyond ASM.js in terms of speed, but Mozilla has stated they wont support it, and if it where even possible to get Microsoft to use it in IE you know it would take at least a decade, and probably be only barely compatible.

All this talk about WORA is a broken concept anyways. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bytecode and AOT in general. It makes a lot of sense to compile "on site" for performance and portability reasons. But the idea that every application can be written in a completely platform-agnostic way is simply unrealistic, unless your application does nothing more than what a webpage does. Otherwise you have to make all sorts of "use this platform-specific thing" switches in your code at some point (ironically, until MS recently decided to play ball with everyone else on HTML5, CSS & Javascript where the biggest culprit of domain-specific code directives. It's only because of how badly they're loosing browser marketshare that they decided to support WebGL, etc..), so you might as well do it in the most optimized way possible (aka, at compile time).

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                      I can write a Native app in Nimrod/C/C++/etc, compile to Javascript
                      Great idea, that would be like using JS as Assembly language. We should call it something like Asm.js

Before bashing a technology you should take care to actually read what that technology does
                      because bashing a technology by describing a better way that is actually what that technology
                      is intended to do would be pretty embarrassing, don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                      X