Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voting Proposed For Debian Jessie's Init System

Phoronix: Voting Proposed For Debian Jessie's Init System

After last week having an update on the current init system debate within Debian -- largely between systemd and Upstart -- and a major music company coming out in favor of systemd, the init system for Debian Jessie may now be taken to a vote...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

3 Votes so far...

> Ballot:
    >
    > The default init system for Linux architectures in jessie should be
    >
    > 1. systemd
    >
    > 2. upstart
    >
    > 3. openrc
    >
    > 4. sysvinit (no change)
    >
    > 5. requires further discussion.

Bdale Garbee: 12345, https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte.../msg00426.html
    Russ Allbery: 12534, https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte.../msg00427.html
    Keith Packard (Intel): 12435, https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte.../msg00435.html

Comment

No surprises there; of the 8 members, those are the three that have strongly come out in favor of systemd. There are three others that have come out strongly in favor of Upstart (two Canonical employees and one former employee).

The ones to watch are Don Armstrong and Andreas Barth. Armstrong came out slightly in favor of systemd, and Barth in favor of upstart but not really happy with any of the choices.
      Last edited by Scimmia; 26 January 2014, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Personally,

I've pushed for systemd and sooner the better. Get this crap agreed upon. Debian keeps stalling all sorts of package upgrades whether its the asinine libpng upgrade, to this to whatever, the crap just gets slower and slower to update without banging on half-assed updates via Experimental.

If FreeBSD 10.1 continues to evolve I'll be spending more and more time on it, rather than Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          Personally,

I've pushed for systemd and sooner the better. Get this crap agreed upon. Debian keeps stalling all sorts of package upgrades whether its the asinine libpng upgrade, to this to whatever, the crap just gets slower and slower to update without banging on half-assed updates via Experimental.

If FreeBSD 10.1 continues to evolve I'll be spending more and more time on it, rather than Linux.
          That's the main problem with any project/group, you start small can make changes quickly, then you grow, start adding laws and bureaucracy, politics and personal ambitions creep in, infighting, and suddenly realize you look a lot like a typical slow bureaucratic corporate dinosaur, which debian is, without "corporate".

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            That's the main problem with any project/group, you start small can make changes quickly, then you grow, start adding laws and bureaucracy, politics and personal ambitions creep in, infighting, and suddenly realize you look a lot like a typical slow bureaucratic corporate dinosaur, which debian is, without "corporate".
            In a corporation you usually at least have someone who can make decisions unilaterally.

Comment

There seems to be a high correlation between the persons favor of upstart and his affiliation with Canonical. Interesting. Correlation does not imply causation, though. Probably just a coincidence.

Comment

My vote?
                35[4/2]
                and no 1

ps: I agree with https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte.../msg00428.html
                Last edited by Annabel; 26 January 2014, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Is it just me, or does the article not say who's able to vote? Is it a public vote, or just for board members?

If they pick Upstart, Debian becomes largely irrelevant overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    Is it just me, or does the article not say who's able to vote?
                    It's just you:
                    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Bdale is calling for technical committee members to vote

Comment

Working...
                    X