Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devonwarren View Post
    Did you update to the latest firmware? http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...downloads.html

I am surprised by these benchmarks
    @Michael: It's a bit late but maybe here are two reasons for poor performance:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...fix-on-the-way -> http://www.overclock.net/t/1507897/s...a-in-the-drive

and

The Samsung 840 EVO SSD is a bit tricky to set up so here are some notes on the process. Update the firmware I first tried creating a bootable USB stick using Samsung’s .iso and unetbootin. T…

Partition alignment
    Apparently, it?s quite important to align the partitions, especially on SSDs. If it?s wrong the disks can perform poorly and wear out more quickly. This disk uses a new technology (TLC) which has an unusual erase block size of 1536kb. I can?t find anywhere online which explicitly says to use that as the value for the sector boundary, but I guess it would be OK.

I did find a question about aligning the partitions for these disks which explains how to use gdisk to do it. The answer suggests to use the lowest common multiple of 1.5 and 2 to be on the safe side: 6MiB. In brief, you use `gdisk /dev/sdX`, hit ?X? for expert mode, ?L? to set the sector alignment, and use 6144 as the value. Hit ?m? to return to normal mode. Now ?p? will show ?Partitions will be aligned on 6144-sector boundaries? so you?re ready to create new partitions.

Comment

Well, with the latest FW things get really bad for most Linux users as 840 Evo falsely advertises queued trim. Samsung response to the problem is really impressive:

'As Linux is open source and can be modified by anyone, *we do not support Linux*. We advise users to disable Queued TRIM in Linux, as doing so will allow Sequential TRIM to run in the OS. .... and have a good day'

Comment

Originally posted by dromo View Post

Samsung:

'As Linux is open source and can be modified by anyone, *we do not support Linux*. We advise users to disable Queued TRIM in Linux, as doing so will allow Sequential TRIM to run in the OS. .... and have a good day'
        I read the same Launchpad bug report and although I know I shouldn't be shocked by Samsung's approach (or rather lack thereof) I felt my middle finger having the urge to flick at the screen. Luckily sanity prevailed; my screen (Dell) is innocent and not deserving to be the target of a doomed drive-by flicking attempt.

I've got an EVO 840 in my main laptop and was evaluating the field to replace the whirring disk in another one. As one of the largest Linux (ab)users in the world they'll hardly miss me as a customer. Good timing as it's also time to start thinking about replacing my current Samsung Android handset.

Shrug.

Comment

That's a pretty scary statement. More for their ignorance rather than flippant disregard. 'Because your OS is open source, we recommend you dont use our stuff'. I fail to see that connection when flashing your drive with a basic bootable DOS-like tool; no one's forcing them to open anything.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by dromo View Post
            Samsung is big, and it really is up to you to temporarily disable the usage of FPDMA. They really can't help you on how to do that, but you really can fix it. If you were using windows you could not fix anything, so they have to fix it for you. We all want empty blacklists, but that's not gonna happen. Bugs happen, so blacklists happen.
            Now update your blacklists and formally complain to samsung that they either should not advertise the service or deliver the service advertised.

Comment

If it were only up to me, no problem, but some people are not allowed, must not, or simply can't work with custom kernels. Besides, there is no sticker 'Win and Mac only'

Comment

New twist in the SSD corruption saga:

Samsung finds, fixes bug in Linux trim code. (Slashdot)

Here's hoping that in the future manufacturers like Samsung become more proactive in getting to the bottom of any issues affecting their products.

Comment

Working...
                X