Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DDR3-2400MHz On AMD's A10 Kaveri With Kingston's HyperX Beast

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Ahh, you think profoundWHALE was talking about single/dual rank rather than single/dual channel, ie saying that 2133 dual rank could outperform 2400 single rank with the same number of channels ? If so, that could make sense, at least on certain workloads -- seems that the Kaveri memory controller is able to interleave multiple memory banks on the same channel. AFAIK using 2 channels still makes the biggest difference though...
    It's posts like this that remind me I still know very little about everything and that my pursuit of knowledge will end in defeat.

This stuff is a lot easier to understand if you grew up on mainframes where 4-way or 8-way interleaving of core memory was the only way for it to keep up with the CPU. The cool thing is that CPUs and GPUs are finally getting fast enough and wide enough that the same techniques are starting to be required again.

You kids with your semiconductor RAM and flash drives have things so damn easy

There is an exponential-growth thing to knowledge that makes it worth pursuing at all times.
    Last edited by bridgman; 06-03-2014 at 05:22 PM.