Catalyst Beta + Kaveri = Broken Xubuntu 13.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst Beta + Kaveri = Broken Xubuntu 13.10

Has anyone else had issues getting the catalyst drivers to work with the A10-7850 Kaveri? I purchased it for a new build with 2133MHz ram and the Asus A88x motherboard, and after installing Xubuntu 13.10, upgrading to kernel 3.12, building and installing the Catalyst packages from AMD's site, generating the standard configuration with "aticonfig --initial", and using the "nomodeset" kernel parameter, I have been totally unable to get a working system.

On a normal boot, the computer freezes while loading the initial ramdisk, and the Xorg logs look fine--until they abruptly stop (right after "Loading GLX extension"). I am unable to switch to any other VTs, and the only way out is a hard reset. If I leave it at that loading screen long enough (about 5 minutes) it just goes black, but no other changes occur.

I can boot from grub to a recovery console, and when I run "fglrxinfo" I get an error like "Cannot open device, (null)". I've been told its output is useless if X isn't running anyways.

I have a working system with the oibaf drivers (though I don't get the performance reported on Phoronix). My monitor is connected via DVI, but VGA also produces the same results (I've tried).

Any thoughts? Is it just me? All of these issues occur on CLEAN installs.

Thanks for any help!

Can you install fpaste and upload the Xorg.0.log file from /var/log? IT is hard to say what is going wrong without the log file.

Tip: With fpaste, it will auto-upload the text file. Just like this:

Code:
    fpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Comment

Originally posted by nigeil View Post
      Has anyone else had issues getting the catalyst drivers to work with the A10-7850 Kaveri? I purchased it for a new build with 2133MHz ram and the Asus A88x motherboard, and after installing Xubuntu 13.10, upgrading to kernel 3.12, building and installing the Catalyst packages from AMD's site, generating the standard configuration with "aticonfig --initial", and using the "nomodeset" kernel parameter, I have been totally unable to get a working system.

On a normal boot, the computer freezes while loading the initial ramdisk, and the Xorg logs look fine--until they abruptly stop (right after "Loading GLX extension"). I am unable to switch to any other VTs, and the only way out is a hard reset. If I leave it at that loading screen long enough (about 5 minutes) it just goes black, but no other changes occur.

I can boot from grub to a recovery console, and when I run "fglrxinfo" I get an error like "Cannot open device, (null)". I've been told its output is useless if X isn't running anyways.

I have a working system with the oibaf drivers (though I don't get the performance reported on Phoronix). My monitor is connected via DVI, but VGA also produces the same results (I've tried).

Any thoughts? Is it just me? All of these issues occur on CLEAN installs.

Thanks for any help!
      Hi, I ran in to the same problem for about a week. The key is that you need to update the BIOS to the newest version.

I used 0801 and it worked fine.

Comment

Update A88X-pro BIOS to version 0801.

Comment

You guys are awesome

Last night I actually had the last ditch idea (right before install Windows alongside Ubunutu) to check the bios version. It works flawlessly now. You guys are the best for getting back to me so fast! I've spent many an hour trying to figure this out.

Hopefully other people will come across this before they too spend a week fiddling with it!

Comment

I did not have the issues you had because I updated my bios immediately after in installed the board into the case and before I even tried to boot.

But the issue I had with the board is coil whine heard above system fan noise as well the CPU_FAN header would make the cpu fan run at 100% speed no matter what bios settings were used or load condition. Getting it replaced.

Comment

The question of whether building a module? and which is exactly version catalyst?w ?

btw. It builds optimized versions of catalyst drivers [beside kernel built by me]

Catalyst 13.12 + kernel v28.1-brazos - Linux-3.13.0

Comment

Working...
              X