AMD Radeon Gallium3D Catches Up To Catalyst For Some Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    To my knowledge, many of the former readers likely were visitors of phoronix when it was basically just a blog about Michael's linux experiences. The website has obviously changed a lot since, so those former readers you speak of have either got what they wanted, or, they have the same false expectations like you. I've only been to this site since I think 2009, but as far as I'm aware, the premise never changed. Michael may have put a little more time and effort into articles a few years ago, but as far as I'm aware, the content and purpose of the articles was never any different than it is today.
    I'd be happy to sign under this. There's a lot of things I think Michael could be doing better, and as any kind of tech site, you have to read his opinions and statements with a grain of salt. That happens at Anand's and Tom's too, though. You have to read critically, not just consume the article.

I would really like to see you spend the time to write ONE article involving all the tests you want to see on phoronix. Prove that you can accurately benchmark everything that you request within a timely manner, with a useful conclusion, and I think you'll have every right to bash the GPU articles on this website. Until you realize the time and effort it takes, you REALLY need to stop whining.
    You know, I tried to benchmark laptops in the laptop shop I used to work at in 2008 - Michael might remember when I tried to put together a PTS livecd. It got boring very quickly, it's not a simple task, it's not something you can usually set and forget. I balk at the idea of benchmarking my own hardware, as it's just too time consuming.

They're not about "perspective buyers" - how have you not understood that yet? How the hell is an article like the one we're posting on supposed to appeal to perspective buyers when it's not even about an individual product?
    Needless to say, you can't buy half the products anymore...

@ Michael, bridgman: do you have any idea how the R7 260 / R7 260X support is doing? Is it relatively in line with other radeonSI, or is it still a lot worse?

Comment

Originally posted by PeterKraus View Post
      @ Michael, bridgman: do you have any idea how the R7 260 / R7 260X support is doing? Is it relatively in line with other radeonSI, or is it still a lot worse?
      Yes, I got a Radeon R7 260X a few days ago to review... It will probably come out next week in an article. RadeonSI on Mesa 10.1-devel + Linux 3.13 kernel performance was unbearably slow even though it reported it was using hardware acceleration and power management was initialized. Will try 3.14 soon. On Catalyst it seemed to work fine though it doesn't look like Dual Graphics work with Kaveri. More details in few days.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I think you need 3.14 to get dpm really working on CI parts... guessing that with 3.13 the 260 is probably showing the same "~20% of Catalyst" performance that SI parts were showing until recently.
        Test signature

Comment

Said some stuff.
          Send me the gear and I'll write the article. I'm not going to test my old stuff. I'll do Linux vs windows on the same hardware with overclock and underclock/volt results, power draw, noise levels, heat output etc. since those are the kinds of things that allot of people find relevant and will become more relevant with people looking to switch from Windows to SteamOS. If you want I'll even do dry ice and LN2 testing for shits and giggles.

And yes, the tests of new hardware are always about perspective buyers. People want to know if what they are looking at is worth their money or if they will be better served with another piece of hardware.

Look it up, the crap beers are becoming allot less popular ever since the recession, people have been moving to craft beers in a big way in the states. Now these days the macrobrew companies are trying to "fake the punk" by making up false microbrews or buying them out and doing everything they can to hide that they are wholly owned subsidiaries and because of this are forced to cut costs and quality.

Comment

Just a note:
            Feeding trolls doesn't do any good.

Click on
            Settings -> Ignore list
            Insert the user name and hit "okay"

And then you won't see the troll anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Yes, I got a Radeon R7 260X a few days ago to review... It will probably come out next week in an article. RadeonSI on Mesa 10.1-devel + Linux 3.13 kernel performance was unbearably slow even though it reported it was using hardware acceleration and power management was initialized. Will try 3.14 soon. On Catalyst it seemed to work fine though it doesn't look like Dual Graphics work with Kaveri. More details in few days.
              R7 260X = hd 7790 + overclocking. I made many tests of my 7790, 3.13+mesa git shows impressive performance.
              OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Unigine valley mesa+ogl 3.3 patch

Unigine valley windows 8.1 catalyst 13.12

Comment

That's really interesting. They both had the same min framerate.

Comment

You can also enable tiling for CIK parts if you are using a recent kernel, mesa, ddx, and libdrm. Just add:
                  Option "ColorTiling" "true"
                  Option "ColorTiling2D" "true"
                  to the device section of your xorg config.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    Send me the gear and I'll write the article. I'm not going to test my old stuff. I'll do Linux vs windows on the same hardware with overclock and underclock/volt results, power draw, noise levels, heat output etc. since those are the kinds of things that allot of people find relevant and will become more relevant with people looking to switch from Windows to SteamOS. If you want I'll even do dry ice and LN2 testing for shits and giggles.
                    1) By not testing the old stuff you're only going to test the latest and greatest, which gives absolutely no comparison for the people who are shopping around looking to replace their existing graphics cards. Such as the people who are looking to replace their old 4770 with something new in the same price range that they bought that card for 5 years ago (e.g. my brother in law). If you can look at the performance difference between a 4770 and a 6850 on the same graph, that's good information to have.

2) Broke high school and college students are the large majority of people who are overclocking their gear. Anyone in the business world would NEVER over/under-clock a machine that they depended on. Guess which group has more money to spend on hardware (and is worth advertising to).

3) Any time you get into benchmarking overclocked/underclocked systems, you are by definition testing on a configuration that is not supported by the manufacturer, and likely not reproducible by others... Why would you ever bother, if you're attempting to be taken seriously?

4) Power draw, thermals, and noise levels are useful... I'll give you that one.

5) Even if Michael's not testing the latest and greatest games out there, he's still giving benchmarks of relative improvements in the drivers supporting the various GPUs that are available. I know that TF2 was basically unplayable a year ago on my 6850. I know that the driver has gotten much better by looking at the benchmarks on this site and seeing the relative improvements in most games. Therefore, I know that it's probably worth trying TF2 again on my system now.

Michael's limited to mostly using automated benchmark which are reproducible, and can be run with a minimum of user involvement. PTS is also designed so that you can run the whole thing via an ssh tunnel to a test farm in a server room if needed (something that those paying commercial customers are after, and also has come in useful for me a few times). If more games start shipping with automated benchmarking modes, then you'll see more games with PTS profiles that get run in articles like this. Manually running through levels in games w/ FRAPS to record frame rates CAN be vaguely reproducible, but every time you see it in a windows GPU review, there's usually a large disclaimer about how they believe the numbers are reproducible, but they can't guarantee it.

Recording and replaying api traces would give you reproducible benchmarks with regards to how fast your CPU, GPU and driver can render frames, but it won't necessarily guarantee a useful framerate number that you can then use to go shopping for components. Yes, PTS is currently limited to either free/oss games which are not the latest and greatest, or commercial games which can be difficult to test in an automated manner... but given the resource constraints at hand, it's pretty damn good.

Comment

Working...
                    X