AMD Radeon Gallium3D Catches Up To Catalyst For Some Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Again, it's an entirely different situation... Windows and OS X sites more well staffed... Much more lucrative ad market, etc. Those that try for very fine quality to Linux articles just end up going bust; i.e. H-Online, the original Linux.com, NewsForge, etc etc.
    Riiight, most sites have maybe 3 people if they are popular.

Ask Valve for a reviewer account to get your games for free.

Better reviews = more hits = more money. + SteamOS = larger and more lucrative market = more money.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      Then whenever a game stopped working, we can flame Alex and Tim in the forums for a couple of weeks...
      Don't worry, there'll be other stuff to flame me about...
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Again, it's an entirely different situation... Windows and OS X sites more well staffed... Much more lucrative ad market, etc. Those that try for very fine quality to Linux articles just end up going bust; i.e. H-Online, the original Linux.com, NewsForge, etc etc.
        So what you're saying is we need a "fraps" for Linux... Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
          So what you're saying is we need a "fraps" for Linux... Gotcha.
          Fraps alone isn't too suitable either since if I recall correctly, it still requires manually running around the game to collect frame-rates. a.k.a it's not fully automated so doesn't meet requirements for reproducibility and accuracy and, yes, is also very time consuming if needing to be done manually.

Solutions like APITrace and recording a trace of all drawing commands work to some extent but can be buggy and are then only rendering the GL commands on the system and not running the actual game engine, so it's only half the story... A solution like that doesn't at all in reality meet what the same people are complaining about with "real world game testing" when all that testing is doing is shoving a bunch of commands to the GPU but not actually running the game engine...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            Riiight, most sites have maybe 3 people if they are popular.

Ask Valve for a reviewer account to get your games for free.

Better reviews = more hits = more money. + SteamOS = larger and more lucrative market = more money.
            You are trying WAY too hard to complain. Seriously, it's really beginning to be pathetic. You continuously ignore the reasons why your precious tests aren't done and then you taint these forums with a bad anti-community vibe. You seem completely incapable of understanding the purpose behind the tests (and the reasons why others aren't done) no matter how many times its explained to you. Linux doesn't get the same treatment as Windows, especially in the graphics department, and as such it cannot be tested the same way.

Michael's reviews aren't bad. Every once in a while they're clearly rushed, but he gets across the point that matters most - on your typical setup, how much have the drivers progressed and how much more needs to be done. I really don't see how you haven't figured that out yet.

Also on a side note, you clearly don't know much about economics if you suggest Michael run 3rd party benchmarks. As far as I'm concerned, his main product is PTS, so him running tests outside of PTS is like telling Google employees to search on Yahoo. I'm not sure how much money he makes from PTS, if he makes any at all, but the principal is he's not helping himself by using tests outside of his own personal suite.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 23 January 2014, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Don't worry, there'll be other stuff to flame me about...
              Remember back in the day when Q used to flame you about buying the wrong kind of modem, or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                Again, there's no equation that says "better reviews" ends up equaling more money... If you take a look at H Online and other examples where they focused on quality over quantity and now they all went bust.

Heck, the top advertisers on Phoronix come down to Cisco, Dell, Intel, Microsoft, and other companies advertising their server/enterprise wares, so if anything should really focus less on gaming and more on server/workstations...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  The day someone doesn't make an uneducated complaint on a phoronix GPU article will be the day Microsoft will open source Windows.
                  The source code to the Windows XP kernel has been made available on request since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    Remember back in the day when Q used to flame you about buying the wrong kind of modem, or something?
                    Who can forget that?

It was about using a WinModem on Vista and describing how Vista provides a better end-user experience than Linux. And that using Vista = traitor to Linux. And somewhere along the way it degenerated into something about Nazism.
                    Last edited by Sonadow; 24 January 2014, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      The source code to the Windows XP kernel has been made available on request since 2006.
                      As far as I'm aware, MS didn't release it and in fact was trying to find out who did. I'm pretty sure you can't legally download the source code to XP today, but I'd legitimately like to be proven wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X