Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I'm also not sure why they don't use RPM fields for that
    That's because a package is not an application. It may contain one. Or three. Or none.

Comment

And I can also understand GNOME, given that they wanted a cross-package spec as opposed to one bound to either RPM or DEB.
      This is what packagekit is for.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
        This is what packagekit is for.
        PackageKit is an API. You need underlying metadata for the API to access. In this case, that metadata is Appdata

Comment

Originally posted by PiotrDrag View Post
          That's because a package is not an application. It may contain one. Or three. Or none.
          In most cases, it contains a piece.

Comment

I'm also not sure why they don't use RPM fields for that, but I guess that it's faster when the file is outside the package, or something? And I can also understand GNOME, given that they wanted a cross-package spec as opposed to one bound to either RPM or DEB.
            How would the data for those RPM fields come from? Hint... AppData might be the answer...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              How would the data for those RPM fields come from? Hint... AppData might be the answer...
              The answer is a SPEC file.

Comment

The Linux world really needs some more standardization for user software.
                AppData and AppStream are very useful things in that direction.

Comment

The answer is a SPEC file.
                  A SPEC file is RPM-specific configuration, usually provided by the distro packager rather than upstream. The AppData file is intended to be part of the upstream source package... something useful whether you're packaging for RPM, DEB, or one of those zero-install type packages.

Comment

Working...
                  X