ReactOS Wants To Bring Open-Source Windows To The Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I know a few people who have already stated they would jump at the chance to use ReactOS if it was ready. I would definitely try it, at least.

Unlike (what seems like) 99% of the Linux community, I don't hate Windows. An Open-Source 100% compatible-with-windows clone would be heaven. ReactOS achieving binary compatibility with Windows XP is just the beginning as Vista/7 doesn't have TOO many changes on top of the XP SP3 structure (some core changes though, yes) so it should be easier to build a ReactOS-Vista and ReactOS-7 clones after the original one is finished.

They've come pretty far and I'm really excited to see what they can do.
    Its like with the galium implementation of Dx3D, implementing a non standardised technique (even if is standardised its hard see OpenXML) that is very bad documented in its low region is like running the gauntlet: you try to chase the original implementer but you couldn't get him until he makes his next changes.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      The guys don't get it, like the Hurd guys, nobody's using it, why does anyone give a shit, it's been in development for 2 decades, and the worst part is the core idea of creating an open source windows clone.
      Your answer is best put bellow

I agree there is a niche for ReactOS, like embedded devices that were made with WinXP back in the day, and soon they'll get no more updates. Same goes for old games/other software. Iirc they implemented some win7 features already for greater app compatibility. There is also the educational aspect of it (e.g. how to design an operating system that's not unix-like), and the huge code base serves as a stress test for stuff like compilers and other dev tools.
      There's an interesting presentation by one of the devs if you have the time to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVXt_dELZNo

Comment

On the one hand I think reactOS is a cool and clever idea
        On the other, if the time didn't developing it was costed at legal minimum working salary then they could probably have bought Windows licences for everyone who uses it

I dont know too much about how reactors and wine are developed but I would hope there's a lot of cross fertilisation of ideas.

Overall what I'd really like is more effort on persuading commercial software vendors to make their software multi platform, and provide tools to help automate the process of porting code from Windows to Qt, or something.
        Last edited by speculatrix; 23 January 2014, 04:32 AM. Reason: fixed Swypos

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
          I dont know too much about how reactors and wine are developed but I would hope there's a lot of cross fertilisation of ideas.
          Their development is quite different. The former involves engineers and technicians, lots of blueprints, materials and hard hats. The latter involves grapes, soil, barrels, microorganisms and a lot of patience. Not a lot of ideas can be used in both.

Comment

From what I remember, because of the way Wine is developed (to work on *nix systems) they can't share too much, but ReactOS has taken bits and pieces of code directly from Wine and used it as a supplement to their code until they can improve upon it or write something better from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
              Your answer is best put bellow
              That "niche" is so small that it's not worth mentioning ReactOS news in the first place, its market share isn't larger than Russia's ELBRUS OS or some other OS of some other country.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Their development is quite different. The former involves engineers and technicians, lots of blueprints, materials and hard hats. The latter involves grapes, soil, barrels, microorganisms and a lot of patience. Not a lot of ideas can be used in both.
                tee hee.

I use Swype on my phone and I usually spot when it autocorrects things, and add common technical jargon to its dictionary. I missed it correcting ReactOS to reactors. I will go edit.

hmm, I can't edit that post. I wonder if that's because it's been replied to? Never mind.
                Last edited by speculatrix; 23 January 2014, 07:09 AM.

Comment

hmm, I can't edit that post. I wonder if that's because it's been replied to? Never mind.
                  No, that's just Phoronix having a 1-minute edit limit to deter spambots.

Comment

Blindness

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    Unlike (what seems like) 99% of the Linux community, I don't hate Windows.
                    You're seeing something different than me then. I find that most Linux users use Windows 99% of the time and simply keep Linux around for bragging rights. Most of them aren't serious about Open Source at all. They've used Windows all their life, so Microsoft's goal of locking them in is complete. I'm one of the few that broke free from Microsoft after 15 years of use.

October 2012: I made up my mind that I didn't need Microsoft anymore. After years of tinkering with Linux, like many still do, I found that it had become a real alternative to Windows. I just didn't want to deal with Virus and Malware anymore and I was tired of feeling like I was being "watched". In 2013 I found that I wasn't insane and has every right to think I was being watched as the truth came out about the NSA and backdoors in Windows.

My switch was like Smoking, it was simply an addiction. Before I switched I checked my Hardware and found replacements for my Software; switching was a piece of cake after that. After a full install I installed the GPU driver, which was simple point and click, and I was finished. After I installed Software via the Ubuntu Software Center I felt right at home, and Steam was right around the corner; what an excellent time to switch from Windows.

The problem? I'm in the minority. Most people are too addicted and afraid of change to switch from Windows. Even if there was proof of a Back door or something that put users at serious risk; people still wouldn't switch. What you see now is what it will always be unless OEMs install Linux by default, the only way to make people switch is by force and I welcome that day. My 60 year old Mother now uses Linux, if she can do it, anyone can. No more redundant excuses, no more rationalizing.

As for ReactOS, there just isn't a need for it anymore. While I was still using Windows I thought I would use it if it was completed, but now that I use Linux, I see no real need for it. But more power to them, it's a nice experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      No, that's just Phoronix having a 1-minute edit limit to deter spambots.
                      I don't think it's that. I could see the edit button for the comment you replied to, but now it's gone, and it's been a fair time; the previous comment is also uneditable too.

Ah, if I click on edit, and then change the URL to reference the previous comment, I get this:

Code:
                                 The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 5 minutes
                                 after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the 
                                 administrator to make alterations on your message
                      Last edited by speculatrix; 23 January 2014, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X