Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS Wants To Bring Open-Source Windows To The Cloud

Phoronix: ReactOS Wants To Bring Open-Source Windows To The Cloud

ReactOS, the open-source operating system that aims for Windows API compatibility with the Windows NT kernel and aims for binary compatibility with Windows drivers and programs, is now hoping to develop a commercial cloud distribution. While ReactOS hasn't gained much adoption and is still trailing in their Windows support, they are now looking to make Throium Core, an open-source Windows compatible operating system for the cloud...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like they may have finally found their niche in virtualization, allowing them to avoid the driver compatibility headaches. Be interesting to see more analysis on how well this works.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
      Looks like they may have finally found their niche in virtualization, allowing them to avoid the driver compatibility headaches. Be interesting to see more analysis on how well this works.
      The guys don't get it, like the Hurd guys, nobody's using it, why does anyone give a shit, it's been in development for 2 decades, and the worst part is the core idea of creating an open source windows clone.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        The guys don't get it, like the Hurd guys, nobody's using it, why does anyone give a shit, it's been in development for 2 decades, and the worst part is the core idea of creating an open source windows clone.
        Well, it worked for FreeDOS...

Comment

You don't get that they are open source developers. They think differently than developers that want to earn money from it. It's not about users using it, it's about the fun to do it. And maybe to do some things better than paid developers. It's a hobby.
          The ReactOS project wouldn't die if the kickstarter fails. The kickstarter project is only a boost to the project, so that developer are able to spend more of their free time to develop for their hobby.

Comment

I know a few people who have already stated they would jump at the chance to use ReactOS if it was ready. I would definitely try it, at least.

Unlike (what seems like) 99% of the Linux community, I don't hate Windows. An Open-Source 100% compatible-with-windows clone would be heaven. ReactOS achieving binary compatibility with Windows XP is just the beginning as Vista/7 doesn't have TOO many changes on top of the XP SP3 structure (some core changes though, yes) so it should be easier to build a ReactOS-Vista and ReactOS-7 clones after the original one is finished.

They've come pretty far and I'm really excited to see what they can do.

Comment

If nobody is giving a shit, then why do you clearly give a shit?
              Hypocrisy at its finest.

Comment

I would certainly have a copy of ReactOS installed permanently, too. I enjoy all my old games, and ReactOS certainly runs well when it does but having XP installed always made me feel completely naked in a bar full of other-sexually orientated people looking for my wallet.
                Hi

Comment

I agree there is a niche for ReactOS, like embedded devices that were made with WinXP back in the day, and soon they'll get no more updates. Same goes for old games/other software. Iirc they implemented some win7 features already for greater app compatibility. There is also the educational aspect of it (e.g. how to design an operating system that's not unix-like), and the huge code base serves as a stress test for stuff like compilers and other dev tools.
                  There's an interesting presentation by one of the devs if you have the time to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVXt_dELZNo

Comment

I would love to replace XP with ReactOS in my virtual box, if I could play every old game with it. Wine sucks on some...

Comment

Working...
                    X