Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coreboot Gets Ported To The Lenovo X230 Ultrabook

Hybrid View

Default Coreboot Gets Ported To The Lenovo X230 Ultrabook

Phoronix: Coreboot Gets Ported To The Lenovo X230 Ultrabook

The latest Lenovo device picking up unofficial support for booting with Coreboot is the X230...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3OTM

X201, X230...if I'm lucky, they'll get around to this X200 before I need a new laptop.

It would be really nice if they had an application that you could run that would check to see if the chip-sets on your motherboard are theoretically supported and display whether or not someone else has reported success.

However, among the open issues in using Coreboot on the Lenovo X230 is no S3 suspend support...
    What is the point of a laptop again?

Default X201 and X230 at FOSDEM

Both X201 and X230 running coreboot will be shown at FOSDEM 2014 (coreboot booth).

AFAIK, this will only be useful to endusers if Lenovo signs a coreboot blob, or if you can manually reprogram the BIOS chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post
    What is the point of a laptop again?
    I don't suspend or hibernate any of my laptops. I either set them to turn off the screen when I shut the lid, or just shut it down when I'm not using it. S3 not working doesn't even matter to me

Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    It would be really nice if they had an application that you could run that would check to see if the chip-sets on your motherboard are theoretically supported and display whether or not someone else has reported success.
    Doesn't flashrom already have something of the sort?

Is it possible to actually get the amount of hardware tuning that usual BIOS provides (CPU config, PCI/E config, RAM config) via Coreboot?
    Because the main point of BIOS is not so booting or checking system, but setting hardware configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    AFAIK such application exists, its Superiotool and can be found on coreboot site.

Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Is it possible to actually get the amount of hardware tuning that usual BIOS provides (CPU config, PCI/E config, RAM config) via Coreboot?
    coreboot has some number of options. But additionally since you have the *source* you can modify to do anything.
    AFAIK such application exists, its Superiotool and can be found on coreboot site.
    Superiotool is just to communicate with Super I/O which isn't even present on all boards. If the board is already supported then it's in the list of supported boards. If it's not then to estimate how hard it would be to port to it, you should look into its documentation and compare with already supported boards.