No announcement yet.

File System Benchmarks in Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny test, but NTFS-3g should be restested with 1.913, released on September 13, 2007. Speed was increased dramatically - especially on fragmented partitions.

Comment

What about the cpu usage? The last thing I remember is, that reiserfs was the overall fastest but also the most CPU consuming file system.

Comment

reiser4 has too many problems in long term use. Also when you install grub into that partition you can get into real trouble...

Comment

My benchies

Comment

Some of you might be interested in this short article I found a while ago while peeping through btrfs' mailing lists:

It's a fairly recent comparison of most emerging (and old too) Linux filesystems. Bear in mind that some of them have made a lot of progress since then, particularly btrfs, at least according to the mailing lists.

Comment

Reiser 4

I'm a little bit confused...
              I had always thougt, reiser4 was unstable.
              And I really need a stable FS, a stable Hardware, I have enough trouble with unstable Software, I want to concentrate on other Tings.
              But of course I would like to see the reiser4 FS in the Linux kernel. But not if I'd have to loose stability, performance in other parts of the OS and much time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lykos View Post
                I'm a little bit confused...
                I had always thougt, reiser4 was unstable.
                And I really need a stable FS, a stable Hardware, I have enough trouble with unstable Software, I want to concentrate on other Tings.
                But of course I would like to see the reiser4 FS in the Linux kernel. But not if I'd have to loose stability, performance in other parts of the OS and much time.
                IMHO, reiser4 suffers from the lack of a group of committed developers. I know at least one guy from Namesys kept working on it, but progress has been slow. I think it will get merged to mainline someday, just don't expect that to happen soon.

If you want stability, pick any of the other filesystems according to your needs. There's no be-all and end-all solution when talking about filesystems. At least not now.

Comment

Hans Reiser And His Filesystems.

HANS REISER AND HIS FILESYSTEMS.

The HANS REISER Murder Trial. Timeline and Analysis.

How to Make a Website with free web hosting services & cheap web hosting for ecommerce & small business hosting. Create & Make a Free Website with Affordable web hosting provider free website promotion tools & web stats. Free Website Builder, Templates, & Best Free Web Hosting. How to Create a Website

DISCUSS IT HERE:

REISER4 HOWTOS.

Some Amazing Filesystem Benchmarks. Which Filesystem is Best?
                  How to Make a Website with free web hosting services & cheap web hosting for ecommerce & small business hosting. Create & Make a Free Website with Affordable web hosting provider free website promotion tools & web stats. Free Website Builder, Templates, & Best Free Web Hosting. How to Create a Website

Compiling yourself a 2.6.23 Kernel (with Reiser4 support). (2.6.24 Kernel Patch)

Installing your favorite Linux Distro on Reiser4.

Installing GRUB on a Reiser4 Partition.

AND OTHER GOOD STUFF AT:

Comment

I would strongly recommend against using reiser4 for real world use. I tried it and after several weeks it ate my filesystem and I was never able to recover data. Fortunately, that was on an experimental non-critical system.

Also note that in several benchmarks it is the only filesystem to crash and fail to complete the benchmark. For instance, from here:

"The first attempt with reiser4 ended rather unhappily with a crash part way through the testing which killed the filesystem."

Which matches my personal experience wherein I found it very unstable.

I think there is potential to this filesystem, but it simply is not stable enough for production or desktop use at the moment. I think it's fine to play with on a non-critical experimental system, but based on my experience with it, I would urge caution if a stable FS is required.

Comment

Yes, the Reiser4 filesystem has been deliberately sabotaged on occasions. If you use one of Morton's older patches, you are likely to run into trouble,...

See, the Linux Kernel SABOTEURS @

Discuss anything Linux related that doesn't fit into any of the other areas.
                      Last edited by Jade; 22 November 2008, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X