No announcement yet.

File System Benchmarks in Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone ever see that Mel Gibson movie where he was worried everyone was watching him, and he had his house locked down and had all the conspiracy theories? Can't remember the name of the movie , but Jade missed

Comment

I have fixed the broken links (they should be fine till the conspiracy forces the next site closed (so far http://linux.coconia.net and http://linuxhelp.150m.com have been forced closed)

HANS REISER AND HIS FILESYSTEMS.

REISER4 HOWTOS.

Some Amazing Filesystem Benchmarks. Which Filesystem is Best?

Compiling yourself a 2.6.23 Kernel (with Reiser4 support). (2.6.24 Kernel Patch)

Installing your favorite Linux Distro on Reiser4.

Installing GRUB on a Reiser4 Partition.

DISCUSS THE REISER4 FILESYSTEM HERE:

Linux FILESYSTEM BENCHMARKS (includes Reiser4).

The HANS REISER Murder Trial. Timeline and Analysis.

DISCUSS IT HERE:

AND OTHER GOOD STUFF AT:

Last edited by Jade; 22 November 2008, 11:50 PM.

Comment

So if resier is getting modified so it stops screwing itself in the ear and causing problems and it slows it down its being "sabotaged".

So the car companies are deliberately making automotive engines slow and less powerful by using adequate material in connecting rods but not using adequate material in the connecting rods caused them to slam the pistons through the cylinder head.

Am I really missing something here?

Comment

indeed, zfs raid z vs ext[3|4] and LVM

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
          Thats excluding ext4 and zfs. If the phoronix people get around to testing newer versions of these with a newer kernel...That would be cool.
          comparing ZFS with raidz performance vs ext4+lvm or xfs+lvm. does reiserFS handle powercuts yet, then maybe I'll consider it.?

Comment

Ext3, Reiser and JFS yet still even XFS all handle power cuts.

Bad ribbon cables, faulty harddrives, well that is another thing.

Comment

So, which filesystem to pick?

Hi all,
              I'm in the process of migrating my server from Windows 2003 x64 with 3 VMWare VMs to Linux with the VMs in KVM. I thought as I'd like to try KVM that Fedora 12 would be a good host to use. Fedora by default uses Ext4, but from all these tests I wonder if I should not just use Ext3 for all my filesystems. I'll have a LVM of 2 disks which will contain movies, music, software etc and one separate disk (7200 RPM, while the others are 5400) for my VMs. What would you guys use as the filesystem?
              One extra remark. I never see NTFS taken along in the benchmarks. I thought that the current NTFS driver for Linux performs quite well, or doesn't it? If NTFS would be a good choice, than that one would have my preference as then I don't have to move any data around (currently all drives have NTFS as filesystem).
              Last edited by martdj; 10 January 2010, 10:03 AM.

Comment

a little old

these benchmarks are about 2 kernel versions old I THINK. Check the kernel versions and do some performance testing of your own before you go with my response. EXT4 is supposed to scale better with large files, note how, even then, the read and write speeds of lage files gets better. Also, seeking on large files should also be better just because its an extends based filesystem. You can put everything else on ext3 but that media should be better served on ext4

Comment

Working...
                X