Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel DisplayPort Gets High Bit Rate 2 In Linux 3.14

Phoronix: Intel DisplayPort Gets High Bit Rate 2 In Linux 3.14

An Intel DRM driver change that's been queued up for the Linux 3.14 kernel provides High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) support for DisplayPort 1.2 devices for Haswell and future generations of Intel hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I specifically got a mobo that has displayport out so that my Haswell cpu might one day drive a nice 4k / 120hz or 4k / 10bit / 90hz panel. Good to see its going to support that well in advance.

Comment

I'd really wanna see DP take off. The fact that you can daisy chain is a killer feature. Rev. 1.3 supposed to bring 8k support, woot. Is 2014 finally the year VGA is completely phased off? I wonder how long before DVI is phased out as well?

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
        I'd really wanna see DP take off. The fact that you can daisy chain is a killer feature. Rev. 1.3 supposed to bring 8k support, woot. Is 2014 finally the year VGA is completely phased off? I wonder how long before DVI is phased out as well?
        You can get DP to hdmi / dvi cables just fine, so I'd prefer we just get rid of hdmi / dvi ports entirely and just have DP ports.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
          DVI and VGA are both being phased out for HDMI and DisplayPort by 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            I specifically got a mobo that has displayport out so that my Haswell cpu might one day drive a nice 4k / 120hz or 4k / 10bit / 90hz panel. Good to see its going to support that well in advance.
            Gotta get the Desktop working at 4K though and that's still a bit in the future and no monitors use HBR2 yet as it's all MST driven hardware at this point. 2015 should be when things come together for 4K on Linux and OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
              ... and no monitors use HBR2 yet as it's all MST driven hardware at this point. 2015 should be when things come together for 4K on Linux and OSX.
              This one is not 4K but according to the fine print it can do HBR2 - http://www.dell.com/downloads/global...713h_specs.pdf

Comment

Working...
              X