Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Megaton Of New Linux Benchmarks Are Coming

Phoronix: A Megaton Of New Linux Benchmarks Are Coming

Arch Linux, Debian, LLVM/Clang, and Mesa users rejoice! There's new automated, daily benchmarks of these important open-source projects coming on a daily basis...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd hate to see your electricity bill.

Particularly excited to see the Arch stuff. Keep up the great work.

Comment

At last Arch and SID in the game. I hated all these years with just ubuntu on the tests.

If anything that deserves some attention its arch. Even though it lags behind rawhide fedora its at least bench mark worthy since it 99% of times have the latest stable packages whereas ubuntu packages are always behind.

Comment

Originally posted by hadrons123 View Post
        At last Arch and SID in the game. I hated all these years with just ubuntu on the tests.

If anything that deserves some attention its arch. Even though it lags behind rawhide fedora its at least bench mark worthy since it 99% of times have the latest stable packages whereas ubuntu packages are always behind.
        Arch will be a really nice platform for benchmark testing due to the use of rolling releases. Too bad is not that accessible to the starting Linux user. The mere fact that it's rolling release makes it really appealing for people looking for viable WinXP alternatives.

The only alternatives to Arch with respect to rolling releases are the BSD's to an lesser extent (maybe that's an idea?) and Gentoo (another idea?).

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
          Arch will be a really nice platform for benchmark testing due to the use of rolling releases. Too bad is not that accessible to the starting Linux user. The mere fact that it's rolling release makes it really appealing for people looking for viable WinXP alternatives.

The only alternatives to Arch with respect to rolling releases are the BSD's to an lesser extent (maybe that's an idea?) and Gentoo (another idea?).
          There's more than just Arch and Gentoo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release
          What do WinXP and Rolling releases have in common?

Also, Arch (if you use Antergos) is a piece of piss to install, and just as easy as Ubuntu imo.

Comment

Congrats Michael on getting some commericial backing for your (and others? Not a stab) work. It's been a long haul from what I have seen over the years.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post

pc-BSD is rolling but not in the same sense as Linux distros.

There are so many easy to install version of all the major distros.

Debian sid - ubuntu,siduction,mint
              Arch- majaro, antergos.
              Gentoo - sabayon

Gentoo cannot be possibly included in benchmarks becoz its a source based distro and performance differs significantly from system to system based on individual configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by forgiver View Post
                Also, Arch (if you use Antergos) is a piece of piss to install, and just as easy as Ubuntu imo.
                Every single Phoronix reader who understands the meaning of the words should be able to install any distribution without troubles.
                BUT: Everyday Normal Guys will not be able doing this ( <- i don't care ) The last dude i heared about cried the Ubuntu installer deleted his Windows and of course its a bug ... -.-
                Last edited by Kemosabe; 22 January 2014, 05:58 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty excited about the Arch Linux stuff too, great news!

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    Every single Phoronix reader who understands the meaning of the words should be able to install any distribution without troubles.
                    BUT: Everyday Normal Guys will not be able doing this ( <- i don't care ) The last dude i heared about cried the Ubuntu installer deleted his Windows and of course its a bug ... -.-
                    He, last time I saw that (a week or two ago) some one used manual partitioning, deleting all partisions and set them up in a way where the system woudn't boot. Then was supprised when he coudn't do a Windows recovery.

Comment

Working...
                    X