Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Megaton Of New Linux Benchmarks Are Coming

Hybrid View

Default A Megaton Of New Linux Benchmarks Are Coming

Phoronix: A Megaton Of New Linux Benchmarks Are Coming

Arch Linux, Debian, LLVM/Clang, and Mesa users rejoice! There's new automated, daily benchmarks of these important open-source projects coming on a daily basis...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3ODc

I'd hate to see your electricity bill.

Particularly excited to see the Arch stuff. Keep up the great work.

At last Arch and SID in the game. I hated all these years with just ubuntu on the tests.

If anything that deserves some attention its arch. Even though it lags behind rawhide fedora its at least bench mark worthy since it 99% of times have the latest stable packages whereas ubuntu packages are always behind.

Quote Originally Posted by hadrons123 View Post
    At last Arch and SID in the game. I hated all these years with just ubuntu on the tests.

If anything that deserves some attention its arch. Even though it lags behind rawhide fedora its at least bench mark worthy since it 99% of times have the latest stable packages whereas ubuntu packages are always behind.
    Arch will be a really nice platform for benchmark testing due to the use of rolling releases. Too bad is not that accessible to the starting Linux user. The mere fact that it's rolling release makes it really appealing for people looking for viable WinXP alternatives.

The only alternatives to Arch with respect to rolling releases are the BSD's to an lesser extent (maybe that's an idea?) and Gentoo (another idea?).

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Arch will be a really nice platform for benchmark testing due to the use of rolling releases. Too bad is not that accessible to the starting Linux user. The mere fact that it's rolling release makes it really appealing for people looking for viable WinXP alternatives.

The only alternatives to Arch with respect to rolling releases are the BSD's to an lesser extent (maybe that's an idea?) and Gentoo (another idea?).
    There's more than just Arch and Gentoo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release
    What do WinXP and Rolling releases have in common?

Also, Arch (if you use Antergos) is a piece of piss to install, and just as easy as Ubuntu imo.

Congrats Michael on getting some commericial backing for your (and others? Not a stab) work. It's been a long haul from what I have seen over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by forgiver View Post
    Also, Arch (if you use Antergos) is a piece of piss to install, and just as easy as Ubuntu imo.
    Every single Phoronix reader who understands the meaning of the words should be able to install any distribution without troubles.
    BUT: Everyday Normal Guys will not be able doing this ( <- i don't care ) The last dude i heared about cried the Ubuntu installer deleted his Windows and of course its a bug ... -.-
    Last edited by Kemosabe; 01-22-2014 at 05:58 AM.

pc-BSD is rolling but not in the same sense as Linux distros.

There are so many easy to install version of all the major distros.

Debian sid - ubuntu,siduction,mint
    Arch- majaro, antergos.
    Gentoo - sabayon

Gentoo cannot be possibly included in benchmarks becoz its a source based distro and performance differs significantly from system to system based on individual configuration.

Too bad is not that accessible to the starting Linux user.
    I don't know about that. There are lots of people on the Arch forums that are new to Linux, started with Arch and seemed to have no problems installing it. It's probably the distro with the best documentation and user guides.

Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    I don't know about that. There are lots of people on the Arch forums that are new to Linux, started with Arch and seemed to have no problems installing it. It's probably the distro with the best documentation and user guides.
    Also, Antegeros installs a basic Arch system like any other distro, and then you have derivatives like Manjaro and Chakra that try to play the mainstream card. You can definitely get a pacman distribution installed even if you aren't a veteran.