Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR3-800MHz To DDR3-2133MHz Memory Testing With AMD's Kaveri

Phoronix: DDR3-800MHz To DDR3-2133MHz Memory Testing With AMD's Kaveri

For those trying to skimp on a system memory purchase for a new AMD Kaveri system or just curious about the impact the system memory bandwidth has on the latest-generation APUs, here are some benchmarks looking at the overall system memory performance when testing all major DDR3 system memory speeds between DDR3-800MHz and DDR3-2133MHz.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find it rather disturbing for the fact that the i7 4770k performs almost twice as fast (CPU wise) than the a10-7850. Especially since the i7 runs with 1600mhz memory while the a10-7850 can go much higher.

It's been 7 years since I last build my computer (I was mostly guided in my choice by someone else tbh). I'm considering to buy an i7 3820 (Ivy-Bridge e, no iGPU ... yay!), but according to cpu-world.com this CPU does not even perform as well as i7 4770 which even has an iGPU. Confusing...

Comment

xonotic with r_glsl_skeletal 1 should give a flatter diagram
      less memory access

Comment

Michael, any chance to test 2400MHz RAM ?

Comment

As mentioned in article multiple times, he is going to.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            Michael, any chance to test 2400MHz RAM ?
            learn to read the article before posting in the forum ... please! This is going to many forum-posters out there - not only you AJSB...

Comment

It's pretty interresting how many of the performance results scales about 1:1 with the increase of memory speed.
              I wonder how far that image would remain, in a scenario where there wasn't a limit to the speed of the memory.

Also, not knowing all that much about it, this could be proof that the APU itself is capable of much more, but is severely bottlenecked by memory-access. One could speculate what'd happen, if AMD had doubled the memory bandwidth.

I guess it kinda makes sense. I'm not at all sure, but if I'm right, the clock speed on videocard memory isn't all that high, but the bandwidth is very big.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                I find it rather disturbing for the fact that the i7 4770k performs almost twice as fast (CPU wise) than the a10-7850. Especially since the i7 runs with 1600mhz memory while the a10-7850 can go much higher.

It's been 7 years since I last build my computer (I was mostly guided in my choice by someone else tbh). I'm considering to buy an i7 3820 (Ivy-Bridge e, no iGPU ... yay!), but according to cpu-world.com this CPU does not even perform as well as i7 4770 which even has an iGPU. Confusing...
                Why does that strike you as odd? Intel cores have been as powerful as two AMD cores for a very long time now. The A10-7850K is only a quad core FX-based processor. To compare to the i7 4770K, you would need the FX-8320/50. As there are no octo-core APUs, you won't find quad core i7s being dethroned by an APU in regular CPU benchmarks. However, AMD recently released some documentation for a new 16 core processor which may or may not be an upcoming desktop processor. Perhaps an 8 core APU will come along next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post

Don't trust sites like cpu-world...

Want advice? I will give you some.

If the heaviest thing you will do is gaming, you don't need an i7. I would advise a Core i5 4670. You will get about the same performance for 30% less money. Gaming doesn't need hyper threading or 8 threads...

Comment

what about timings? dont they have influence on the performance?
                    seeing the results i really must wonder why AMD did choose not to go all the way and go for GDDR5 and put some pressure on Intel. Or at least triple-channel...

Comment

Working...
                    X