No announcement yet.

DDR3-800MHz To DDR3-2133MHz Memory Testing With AMD's Kaveri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i reboot like once or twice in a month but i still feel that SSD is a must.

before i had SSD i was in same opinion that its useless and expensive.
    finally i bought and i never regret it.. now i know what would be without it.
    all the stuff you are doing every day thats using somewhat your hard drives is a lot snappier and thats gives much better experience using my desktop
    SSD's arent that expensive anyway anymore.. you buy a 120GB ssd and some 2-4TB HD for big files and you are set.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      I find it rather disturbing for the fact that the i7 4770k performs almost twice as fast (CPU wise) than the a10-7850. Especially since the i7 runs with 1600mhz memory while the a10-7850 can go much higher.

It's been 7 years since I last build my computer (I was mostly guided in my choice by someone else tbh). I'm considering to buy an i7 3820 (Ivy-Bridge e, no iGPU ... yay!), but according to cpu-world.com this CPU does not even perform as well as i7 4770 which even has an iGPU. Confusing...
      Yes, Intel does have an advantage, mostly because of the process advantage, but Intel also "cheats" a lot with Turbo-Boost, which you can never use for too long in the real world, but long enough to give spicy benchmark numbers, making it seem much faster than it will really be in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
        Yes, Intel does have an advantage, mostly because of the process advantage, but Intel also "cheats" a lot with Turbo-Boost, which you can never use for too long in the real world, but long enough to give spicy benchmark numbers, making it seem much faster than it will really be in the real world.
        Just when I thought you gave me a good reason to go with fx-8350 (really), I found that AMD has turbo mode :/

Comment

Anyone aware of any single core benchmarks on openbenchmarking.org??

Comment

Just when I thought you gave me a good reason to go with fx-8350 (really), I found that AMD has turbo mode :/
            You can disable turbo boost, but there isn't much point in doing so. It's a very useful feature in processors from here on out, and whoever has the best method of turbo will have the best performing multicore processor. Essentially, what it does is dynamically alters frequency based on core usage. How many people do you know run programs that utilize 8 full cores, or even 4? If the user is only using one core, then that one core will get a significant frequency boost to run that single threaded program faster. If they are using two full cores, then two cores get boosted by a smaller frequency gain. If four cores are being used, then four cores get boosted. If all cores are being fully utilized, then all cores run at their stock frequency -- there is no room for a boost.

Comment

I find it rather disturbing for the fact that the i7 4770k performs almost twice as fast (CPU wise) than the a10-7850. Especially since the i7 runs with 1600mhz memory while the a10-7850 can go much higher.

It's been 7 years since I last build my computer (I was mostly guided in my choice by someone else tbh). I'm considering to buy an i7 3820 (Ivy-Bridge e, no iGPU ... yay!), but according to cpu-world.com this CPU does not even perform as well as i7 4770 which even has an iGPU. Confusing...
              Considering the A10-7850 isn't really even officially out yet AND that it is about half the price of the i7 4770k, then yes, I can see how it would perform almost twice as fast.
              But you should consider the market for the A10, it's for people who don't want to have to go out and get a GPU and overall value. The i7 market is for performance.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                You can disable turbo boost, but there isn't much point in doing so. It's a very useful feature in processors from here on out, and whoever has the best method of turbo will have the best performing multicore processor. Essentially, what it does is dynamically alters frequency based on core usage. How many people do you know run programs that utilize 8 full cores, or even 4? If the user is only using one core, then that one core will get a significant frequency boost to run that single threaded program faster. If they are using two full cores, then two cores get boosted by a smaller frequency gain. If four cores are being used, then four cores get boosted. If all cores are being fully utilized, then all cores run at their stock frequency -- there is no room for a boost.
                Yeah, hence is why I was looking for single threaded tests on Phoronix. Over at cpu-world, single threaded performance of the i5-4670 is 56% higher than the fx-8350. And since people mention that Windows is Intel biased (compiler) I was hoping that openbenchmarking would have a single or dual threaded test. Just to test these turbo modes.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  Considering the A10-7850 isn't really even officially out yet AND that it is about half the price of the i7 4770k, then yes, I can see how it would perform almost twice as fast.
                  Not out? The date was Jan 14th and it's in stock in many shops.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Not out? The date was Jan 14th and it's in stock in many shops.
                    Dangit, Google lied. I typed in exactly A10-7850k and everything that came up was like, nope, not out yet. Then I tried that with price, and got estimations.
                    Just now I searched "amd 7850" and got exactly what I wanted, it's listed $200 not on sale at newegg canada. Sorry D:

Comment

• Degresivity

Who was expected that memory timing in MHz is lineary tight with its speed went wrong way. Temperature risen with higher clocking has leaded to degresive speed. Higher frequency - subproportional excess of speed. Elementary physics...

Comment

Working...
                      X