Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing AMD "Oland" UVD GPU Support Has Been Found

Phoronix: Missing AMD "Oland" UVD GPU Support Has Been Found

If you're one of the owners of the few AMD Radeon GPUs based upon "Oland" like the HD 8570/8670 graphics cards, open-source UVD support is coming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any news about UVD 1/1+?

Comment

Any updates to that hardware accelerated 10 bit H.264 support through UVD? Yes, I still watch cartoons at my age.

Comment

Interesting. I'm actually thinking about what low-end Radeon card to get for an HTPC/server (perhaps not necessarily right now) with the focus on power efficiency and low noise/heat. On one hand we have Evergreen Cedars that are still sold as the low-end cards. On the other hand we have Sea Island Olands, which are the lowest of GCN cards. At the moment Cedars do win in the efficiency department (despite having that 40nm lithography compared to 28nm), but it makes me wonder if GCN cards won't get miniatured enough in the future and then blow Cedars out of the water...

And yes, that UVD1 is still missing. Although if I will end up getting a Cedar/Oland, it won't matter to me any more.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          Any news about UVD 1/1+?
          I don't think 1 is ever coming. 2.0 is done and awaiting review. Nobody knows if it will ever be released.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
            Source? I've an UVD 2.0 card too.
            Pretty sure somebody from AMD posted that here, in the last few weeks. Can't remember who though - hopefully i'm not just making that up in my head.

They said they thought it was done, but that they've thought so before too and had it rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I don't think 1 is ever coming. 2.0 is done and awaiting review.
              The UVD1 and UVD2 asic are much the same.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Interesting. I'm actually thinking about what low-end Radeon card to get for an HTPC/server (perhaps not necessarily right now) with the focus on power efficiency and low noise/heat. On one hand we have Evergreen Cedars that are still sold as the low-end cards. On the other hand we have Sea Island Olands, which are the lowest of GCN cards. At the moment Cedars do win in the efficiency department (despite having that 40nm lithography compared to 28nm), but it makes me wonder if GCN cards won't get miniatured enough in the future and then blow Cedars out of the water...

And yes, that UVD1 is still missing. Although if I will end up getting a Cedar/Oland, it won't matter to me any more.
                i wonder if glamor on SI can outperform evergreens dedicated 2D hardware support (without much CPU overhead) - efficiency-wise

Comment

For UVD on older Radeons, this post has the latest information from AMD. In short: it is implemented, but legal review is holding the release up, possibly indefinitely.

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  i wonder if glamor on SI can outperform evergreens dedicated 2D hardware support (without much CPU overhead) - efficiency-wise
                  There is no dedicated 2D hardware on Evergreen (well if you don't count the hardware overlay for the mouse cursor...)

Comment

Working...
                  X