Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing AMD "Oland" UVD GPU Support Has Been Found

Default Missing AMD "Oland" UVD GPU Support Has Been Found

Phoronix: Missing AMD "Oland" UVD GPU Support Has Been Found

If you're one of the owners of the few AMD Radeon GPUs based upon "Oland" like the HD 8570/8670 graphics cards, open-source UVD support is coming...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3Njg

Any news about UVD 1/1+?

Any updates to that hardware accelerated 10 bit H.264 support through UVD? Yes, I still watch cartoons at my age.

Interesting. I'm actually thinking about what low-end Radeon card to get for an HTPC/server (perhaps not necessarily right now) with the focus on power efficiency and low noise/heat. On one hand we have Evergreen Cedars that are still sold as the low-end cards. On the other hand we have Sea Island Olands, which are the lowest of GCN cards. At the moment Cedars do win in the efficiency department (despite having that 40nm lithography compared to 28nm), but it makes me wonder if GCN cards won't get miniatured enough in the future and then blow Cedars out of the water...

And yes, that UVD1 is still missing. Although if I will end up getting a Cedar/Oland, it won't matter to me any more.

Quote Originally Posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Any news about UVD 1/1+?
    I don't think 1 is ever coming. 2.0 is done and awaiting review. Nobody knows if it will ever be released.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    2.0 is done and awaiting review.
    Source? I've an UVD 2.0 card too.

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    Source? I've an UVD 2.0 card too.
    Pretty sure somebody from AMD posted that here, in the last few weeks. Can't remember who though - hopefully i'm not just making that up in my head.

They said they thought it was done, but that they've thought so before too and had it rejected.

Pretty sure somebody from AMD posted that here, in the last few weeks. Can't remember who though - hopefully i'm not just making that up in my head.

They said they thought it was done, but that they've thought so before too and had it rejected.
    Great news, thank you very much!

I don't think 1 is ever coming. 2.0 is done and awaiting review.
    The UVD1 and UVD2 asic are much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Interesting. I'm actually thinking about what low-end Radeon card to get for an HTPC/server (perhaps not necessarily right now) with the focus on power efficiency and low noise/heat. On one hand we have Evergreen Cedars that are still sold as the low-end cards. On the other hand we have Sea Island Olands, which are the lowest of GCN cards. At the moment Cedars do win in the efficiency department (despite having that 40nm lithography compared to 28nm), but it makes me wonder if GCN cards won't get miniatured enough in the future and then blow Cedars out of the water...

And yes, that UVD1 is still missing. Although if I will end up getting a Cedar/Oland, it won't matter to me any more.
    i wonder if glamor on SI can outperform evergreens dedicated 2D hardware support (without much CPU overhead) - efficiency-wise