NVIDIA Is Still Killing AMD Over Linux OpenGL Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    Nvidia is the only graphics company actively adressing performance of it's cards underneath Linux.

AMD has good drivers, PS4/Sony is somehow getting a great driver for their FreeBSD kernel.

Somebody is lying. I've got an APU -- e450 -- and it just midway through last year got a decent driver where XBMC would play 1080p without stuttering.
    It's a beta driver.
    I had to hack out the watermark. Fantastic!

Quality work.
    I also have an e460 based HTPC, and like you I used to use the Xvba version of XBMC. However, the open source driver is absolutely crushing it now. It uses much less power, and supports more video formats. See here:

Right now it relies on 3.13 kernel and Git Mesa, but this stuff will be out in normal channels in the next release cycle. Open Source drivers on lower power APUs is a really great choice for an HTPC now.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      "libre" is actually French (who took it from Latin, but it came to English through French).
      True, but it is spanish too, which, as French came of Latin. But, in english, "free" is more used, which (that word, not english) come from Indoeuropean language.
      Last edited by malkavian; 21 January 2014, 10:31 PM. Reason: Missordered "u" and "r" at "Indoeuropean"

Comment

Originally posted by malkavian View Post
        "Privativo" (ending with "o") is the spanish translation for "propietary" in the context of free software. Somewhere "propietary" is bad translated in this context as "propietario", wich means "owner" (correct for other context), so "privativo" is recommended in spanish.

"Privative" is a valid english translation of "privativo" and maybe people use it to avoid confusion to spanish speakers. Maybe you also read the term "libre software". "Free" have two meanings, free as in freedom, and free as in free beer. In spanish we have "gratis" for "free as in free beer" and "libre" for "free as in freedom", so lot of people is using that spanglish term "libre software" to avoid confusion (Moreover, in spanish the correct term is very similar: "software libre").
        Great explanation, thanks. I had a feeling it was something like this, because i was seeing it in way too many places for it to all be the same guy. It was just weird because i'd never seen it before until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
          Right now it relies on 3.13 kernel and Git Mesa, but this stuff will be out in normal channels in the next release cycle. Open Source drivers on lower power APUs is a really great choice for an HTPC now.
          A small correction: It does not rely on Mesa git, but on Mesa 10 which was released some weeks ago
          And Kernel 3.12 is also ok, you need the kernel 3.13 only for HDaudio formats (True HD etc.)
          XBMC however is needed as alpha >=10 of the upcoming xbmc 13 (gotham)

source

Comment

Working...
          X