Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Is Still Killing AMD Over Linux OpenGL Performance

Hybrid View

Default NVIDIA Is Still Killing AMD Over Linux OpenGL Performance

Phoronix: NVIDIA Is Still Killing AMD Over Linux OpenGL Performance

Back in November I published my review of the AMD Radeon R9 290 on Linux. This high-end AMD Radeon "Hawaii" graphics card ended up being a wreck on Linux: its performance was devastating. Radeon R9 290X owners have also reported their Linux performance with the Catalyst driver has been less than stellar. In new tests conducted last week with the latest AMD and NVIDIA binary graphics drivers, the high-end AMD GPUs still really aren't proving much competition to NVIDIA's Kepler graphics cards. Here's a new 12 graphics card comparison on Ubuntu.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19701

I'll continue buying NVIDIA then.

Quote Originally Posted by Filiprino View Post
    I'll continue buying NVIDIA then.
    This is still supporting the only company that puts almost 0 effort into any foss projects. And releasing 2d documentation on Kepler does not compare to 6 full time Mesa devs, completely open design documents on all their chipsets, programming manuals, and all their other kernel / coreboot contributions from AMD. I'm almost happy Catalyst sucks so much (albeit those recent showings of how awful glamor is doesn't renew my faith), more incentive to just depreciate the POS and focus on Gallium. It is a much better idea to implement drivers for DRI / KMS than to try to port a massive Windows blob. Especially if you want to see AMD parts in Tablets or low end embedded systems like tvs running Linux, not having to bundle 30 - 50MB of binary blob would be great (for both disk space and memory concerns).

Does the 290 run on Mesa yet? It looks like none of the SI cards get any performance gain beyond some baseline, so I guess if you wanted a gpu something like a 260x or 7770 is your best bet since spending more money won't get you more frames. I saw some 7870s / 270x's hitting $150 around Black Friday last year, if I see them get that low again I might get one.
    Last edited by zanny; 01-20-2014 at 11:27 AM.

We're customers, not investors. I'll be willing to give AMD some credit only if they officially move majority of resources from Catalyst for Linux to the os driver. It's not like Linux popped up a year ago, you know.
    Last edited by Bucic; 01-20-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    We're customers, not investors. I'll be willing to give AMD some credit only if they officially move majority of resources from Catalyst for Linux to the os driver. It's not like Linux popped up a year ago, you know.
    Exactly - excellent point. While I myself own AMD cards and haven't bought an nvidia product in over 10 years (I don't buy new hardware often), I would still recommend nvidia to linux gamers or anyone who really cares about overall GPU performance. Intel is fine for laptops or low-end desktops.

I appreciate AMD's open source efforts and they're really making good steady progress, but they decided to put this effort in a little too late. I'm sure they're not keeping up with catalyst because it WILL be obsoleted, it's just a matter of when. So, they're basically putting enough attention into it to make sure it "works" but otherwise they'd probably get rid of catalyst if they could.

Dude, what is up with the weird Xonotic benchmarks? Is there a CPU bottleneck going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    You can be both. Three possibilities: Either you are fine with supporting the status quo and keep doing whatever you do, or you are not and try to change it or you don't care.

So I take it you will not buy a fairphone until it actually is 100% fair, right?

Quote Originally Posted by pandev92 View Post
    Intel drivers suffer random tearing for me,
    Try using a real™ window manager like kwin and set vsync to repaint the full screen every time. There's some explanation why this is actually intel's preferred method of repainting the screen that you can google if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    This is still supporting the only company that puts almost 0 effort into any foss projects.
    Who cares? I want results! I didn't bought my hardware to support politics. I bought it to play games...

Happy Nvidia owner who have purchased Wargame European Escalation, Left 4 Dead 2 and Half Life 2 just to play them on Linux. Performance is on par with Windows and thats FANTASTIC!

Never installed them on Windows.
    Last edited by verde; 01-20-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    Never installed them on Windows.
    I a liar..
    I did for testing..

@verde i can play with HL2, Dota or l4d2 on my cape verde (hd7770) powered by galium3d
    but fact is that my old GT9600 can handle Metro LL or Metro2033 by wine and my hd7700 not (catalyst or radeonsi doens't matter) i've still hope