The Linux 3.13 Kernel Is A Must-Have For AMD RadeonSI Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
    I got 50-60 FPS on a 7850 with a 3.13 daily and oibaf's PPA on Ubuntu 13.10; fglrx seems to have a slightly higher average framerate though, but essentially, Dota 2 is fine with either driver.
    Thanks for the input. I do wonder, though; these are all 7000 series cards. What about the generation after that?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
      Thanks for the input. I do wonder, though; these are all 7000 series cards. What about the generation after that?
      8000 and R7/R9 cards are all just rebadged off the same architecture. The newest chips are the Sea Islands/Hawaii parts. 7790/R9 290.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        8000 and R7/R9 cards are all just rebadged off the same architecture. The newest chips are the Sea Islands/Hawaii parts. 7790/R9 290.
        So if I get a R9 290, I won't be seeing performance as good as the R9 270X with radeonsi?

Comment

So if I get a R9 290, I won't be seeing performance as good as the R9 270X with radeonsi?
          I think you will. There have been some bugfixes lately that applied just to the newer cards, but i think they are mostly working now and all the shader code generation seems to be pretty much the same.

I'd be more concerned about bugs than performance at this point.

Comment

You *should*, at least soon. They are all GCN based and the derivations from the stock architecture aren't huge. My bigger question would be if radeon in Mesa will ever support TrueAudio.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              You *should*, at least soon. They are all GCN based and the derivations from the stock architecture aren't huge. My bigger question would be if radeon in Mesa will ever support TrueAudio.
              I had an idea the other day that was basically a VDPAU layer, but for dedicated audio hardware. Like just a thin wrapper layer that provides a common API and the wrapper would handle the differences between TrueAudio and any other available hardware blocks, just have the individual kernel pieces hook into it.

This is coming from someone who is NOT familiar with the layout and workings of TrueAudio and similar dedicated audio blocks, so if its not in the same design or style as video decoding blocks then just ignore me haha. The idea of it was just abstracting away the platform details so that we can just say "Oh you know you want dedicated video decoding? Just target VDPAU. Oh, YOU want dedicated audio handling? Target $Insert_Wrapper_Name"
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by sasy360 View Post
                2D performace is very important even these days. And the current Glamor state with radesosi driver is total crap.
                I didn't pay for some glued, genereic 2d driver BS. Definitely no more AMD graphics for me.
                How is 2D performance with radeonsi vs fglrx?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                  How is 2D performance with radeonsi vs fglrx?
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Short story, not great.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    As mentioned, Cairo is probably the main user, which is built into a lot of GTK apps. Qt using the native drawing backend uses it as well. However, the compositors and desktops themselves are basically OpenGL based and don't use it at all. It's the apps themselves which use it.

With Wayland, XRender will likely largely go away. XWayland apps will still use it, but native apps will probably just use standard OpenGL acceleration.
                    Xfwm with compositing uses XRender, I've heard from some Xfce developer.

The R9 290(X) should be avoided because:
                    - it is very noisy, hot and power hungry,
                    - regardless of graphics driver, on GNU/Linux it's much slower than on Windows. The Free (radeon) driver is a wreck on the R9 290(X) right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                      The R9 290(X) should be avoided because:
                      - it is very noisy, hot and power hungry,
                      The heat and noise issue is only true of the reference design, the custom designs which are now available have temps well under control and run almost inaudibly (unless over-clocked significantly). The power usage is slightly higher that the equivalent Nvidia cards when running flat out however lower when the monitor is off so overall your costs will vary depending on if you leave your PC on while not in use and how much of your on-line time you spend gaming.

Comment

Working...
                      X