Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Linux 3.13 Kernel Is A Must-Have For AMD RadeonSI Users

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomme View Post
    Huh? Then why is it benchmarked here so often?
    Michael benches a lot of stuff here that is of very questionable use.

In which use cases is it really used if one uses say KDE, GNOME3, XFCE or Unity with compositing turned on?
    Are you saying it is only used for things like LXDE / compositing turned of?
    As mentioned, Cairo is probably the main user, which is built into a lot of GTK apps. Qt using the native drawing backend uses it as well. However, the compositors and desktops themselves are basically OpenGL based and don't use it at all. It's the apps themselves which use it.

With Wayland, XRender will likely largely go away. XWayland apps will still use it, but native apps will probably just use standard OpenGL acceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by rrohbeck View Post
    I thought the newer Unigine demos need a newer OpenGL version than Mesa supplies but if you can fake it...
    Actually they only need some features from newer OpenGL versions and the required features happen to be implemented already and by "luck" it doesn't try to use anything that's not implemented yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomme View Post
    Thanks!
    So when I browse the internet, a new page would be drawn faster or when I paint in gimp / load a picture or load a pdf - all those stuff would be drawn and scrolled faster? interesting.
    That's my understanding of it. You're very welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Espionage724 View Post
    I got 50-60 FPS on a 7850 with a 3.13 daily and oibaf's PPA on Ubuntu 13.10; fglrx seems to have a slightly higher average framerate though, but essentially, Dota 2 is fine with either driver.
    Thanks for the input. I do wonder, though; these are all 7000 series cards. What about the generation after that?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    Thanks for the input. I do wonder, though; these are all 7000 series cards. What about the generation after that?
    8000 and R7/R9 cards are all just rebadged off the same architecture. The newest chips are the Sea Islands/Hawaii parts. 7790/R9 290.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    8000 and R7/R9 cards are all just rebadged off the same architecture. The newest chips are the Sea Islands/Hawaii parts. 7790/R9 290.
    So if I get a R9 290, I won't be seeing performance as good as the R9 270X with radeonsi?

So if I get a R9 290, I won't be seeing performance as good as the R9 270X with radeonsi?
    I think you will. There have been some bugfixes lately that applied just to the newer cards, but i think they are mostly working now and all the shader code generation seems to be pretty much the same.

I'd be more concerned about bugs than performance at this point.

You *should*, at least soon. They are all GCN based and the derivations from the stock architecture aren't huge. My bigger question would be if radeon in Mesa will ever support TrueAudio.

Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    You *should*, at least soon. They are all GCN based and the derivations from the stock architecture aren't huge. My bigger question would be if radeon in Mesa will ever support TrueAudio.
    I had an idea the other day that was basically a VDPAU layer, but for dedicated audio hardware. Like just a thin wrapper layer that provides a common API and the wrapper would handle the differences between TrueAudio and any other available hardware blocks, just have the individual kernel pieces hook into it.

This is coming from someone who is NOT familiar with the layout and workings of TrueAudio and similar dedicated audio blocks, so if its not in the same design or style as video decoding blocks then just ignore me haha. The idea of it was just abstracting away the platform details so that we can just say "Oh you know you want dedicated video decoding? Just target VDPAU. Oh, YOU want dedicated audio handling? Target $Insert_Wrapper_Name"

Quote Originally Posted by sasy360 View Post
    2D performace is very important even these days. And the current Glamor state with radesosi driver is total crap.
    I didn't pay for some glued, genereic 2d driver BS. Definitely no more AMD graphics for me.
    How is 2D performance with radeonsi vs fglrx?