Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Linux 3.13 Kernel Is A Must-Have For AMD RadeonSI Users

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Oliver View Post
    I'm running three monitors off a 7790 2 1920 x 1200 + 1 1920 x 1080. Up until now I haven't been able to get my screens configured properly with radeon. Most distros it doesn't even see them as separate monitors, so its update and then install catalyst, but maybe I'll give a radeon arch install a try with 3.13.
    That seems to be a deficiency of the user space tools. I noticed the same (4 monitors on a 7850 with radeonsi) and I need an xorg.conf file or manual xrandr setup.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Modern desktops running in OpenGL mode don't really even touch GLAMOR anyway. Glamor accelerates XRender, 2d acceleration code.

That can show up in certain apps, but not usually the desktop shell itself anymore.
    Would that apply to Wayland? IE, since Wayland requires opengl-es, desktop Wayland wouldn't use XRender at all, so what would 2d acceleration be doing then?

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomme View Post
    Im on HD7950 and mesa/oss driver since some months. 2D performance was all the time fluently enough for me. I did not recognize stutters or lags but sometimes some visual glitches on overlays - but those stay only for seconds
    The raw performance of the HD7950 is so big, it is no wonder that even if it is so unoptimized that it runs 2D fluently. My guess is that goes also for any HD 78xx or 77xx. 2D is just not a real problem today. Or is it for anyone reading this? Contrary experiences despite low benchmark numbers compared to catalyst?
    2D performace is very important even these days. And the current Glamor state with radesosi driver is total crap.
    I didn't pay for some glued, genereic 2d driver BS. Definitely no more AMD graphics for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sasy360 View Post
    I didn't pay for some glued, genereic 2d driver BS. Definitely no more AMD graphics for me.
    Welcome to the modern Linux worlds problems - so you don't want AMD's foss driver, so your choices are Intel (where the best you can get is Iris Pro in select products) or Nvidia (who don't support foss drivers at all). So if you want a beefy gaming card with a side of freedom, you have to go with AMD. Even though that freedom still has binary firmware blobs for the init parts.

This guy on Reddit is getting 60+ frames per second with DOTA2 at maximum settings using radeonsi, kernel 3.13, and a HD 7770. I am so upgrading to AMD for open source goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Modern desktops running in OpenGL mode don't really even touch GLAMOR anyway. Glamor accelerates XRender, 2d acceleration code.

That can show up in certain apps, but not usually the desktop shell itself anymore.
    Huh? Then why is it benchmarked here so often? In which use cases is it really used if one uses say KDE, GNOME3, XFCE or Unity with compositing turned on?
    Are you saying it is only used for things like LXDE / compositing turned of?

Then it would be barely of interest for anyone using a > mid range Graphics Card, cause all those have enough power to turn compositing on....

Quote Originally Posted by sasy360 View Post
    2D performace is very important even these days.
    Where? Please emphasize!

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomme View Post
    Where? Please emphasize!
    Basically anything that uses Cairo, including GTK+, Mozilla, WebKit, Poppler, Gnuplot, Inkscape...

Chris Wilson didn't waste his time without a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDMusic View Post
    Basically anything that uses Cairo, including GTK+, Mozilla, WebKit, Poppler, Gnuplot, Inkscape...

Chris Wilson didn't waste his time without a reason.
    Thanks!
    So when I browse the internet, a new page would be drawn faster or when I paint in gimp / load a picture or load a pdf - all those stuff would be drawn and scrolled faster? interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    This guy on Reddit is getting 60+ frames per second with DOTA2 at maximum settings using radeonsi, kernel 3.13, and a HD 7770. I am so upgrading to AMD for open source goodness.
    I got 50-60 FPS on a 7850 with a 3.13 daily and oibaf's PPA on Ubuntu 13.10; fglrx seems to have a slightly higher average framerate though, but essentially, Dota 2 is fine with either driver.