Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Linux 3.13 Kernel Is A Must-Have For AMD RadeonSI Users

Quote Originally Posted by Espionage724 View Post
    How is 2D performance with radeonsi vs fglrx?
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTU3NTI

Short story, not great.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    As mentioned, Cairo is probably the main user, which is built into a lot of GTK apps. Qt using the native drawing backend uses it as well. However, the compositors and desktops themselves are basically OpenGL based and don't use it at all. It's the apps themselves which use it.

With Wayland, XRender will likely largely go away. XWayland apps will still use it, but native apps will probably just use standard OpenGL acceleration.
    Xfwm with compositing uses XRender, I've heard from some Xfce developer.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    So if I get a R9 290, I won't be seeing performance as good as the R9 270X with radeonsi?
    The R9 290(X) should be avoided because:
    - it is very noisy, hot and power hungry,
    - regardless of graphics driver, on GNU/Linux it's much slower than on Windows. The Free (radeon) driver is a wreck on the R9 290(X) right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    The R9 290(X) should be avoided because:
    - it is very noisy, hot and power hungry,
    The heat and noise issue is only true of the reference design, the custom designs which are now available have temps well under control and run almost inaudibly (unless over-clocked significantly). The power usage is slightly higher that the equivalent Nvidia cards when running flat out however lower when the monitor is off so overall your costs will vary depending on if you leave your PC on while not in use and how much of your on-line time you spend gaming.

- regardless of graphics driver, on GNU/Linux it's much slower than on Windows. The Free (radeon) driver is a wreck on the R9 290(X) right now.
    What architectural changes in Hawaii make radeonSI suck?

Though in general I wouldn't recommend looking at any AMD gpus right now, anyway - they are still all heavily above MSRP from the after effects of litecoin miners. They lose the price / performance context with every nvidia part even without considering how Linux drivers are worse for their stuff.

And I wouldn't expect retailers to drop prices until the demand goes away, and apparently it hasn't. I'd wait for Maxwell to force a price cut out of AMD before buying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    I wouldn't expect retailers to drop prices until the demand goes away, and apparently it hasn't. I'd wait for Maxwell to force a price cut out of AMD before buying anything.
    As you mentioned it isn't AMD ramping up the prices but the retailers; an AMD price cut will just mean the cards stay at exactly the same price and the retailers will make an even bigger profits at AMD's expense.

What architectural changes in Hawaii make radeonSI suck?
    The main thing AFAICS is that DPM is not enabled by default in 3.13 for Hawaii and other CI parts (including Kaveri), while it is for older GCN parts. The patches to complete CI DPM and enable it by default are queued up for 3.14, so I expect there should be a good jump in performance there.

Though in general I wouldn't recommend looking at any AMD gpus right now, anyway - they are still all heavily above MSRP from the after effects of litecoin miners.
    Tell me about it, even the used cards are being torn from the sellers' hands. I wanted to pick up a 5870 the other day for r600g benchmarking, but it got sold for 100e, and another for 110e.
    At least my two Richland boxes are in the mail, so APUs will have to do until some new discretes show up.

Why yes, the 5870 would have been for mining in the non-benchmarking hours, why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The main thing AFAICS is that DPM is not enabled by default in 3.13 for Hawaii and other CI parts (including Kaveri), while it is for older GCN parts. The patches to complete CI DPM and enable it by default are queued up for 3.14, so I expect there should be a good jump in performance there.
    3.13 just came out, though, meaning that 3.14 is 2 to 3 months away. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureSuture View Post
    3.13 just came out, though, meaning that 3.14 is 2 to 3 months away. Am I wrong?
    Depends which 3.14 milestone you look at.

3.14 release is 2-3 months away, but 3.14 rc1 is 1-2 weeks away and the patches (based on 3.13 WIP IIRC) have been in Alex's public next-3.14 branch for ~4 weeks already.
    Last edited by bridgman; 01-24-2014 at 03:02 AM.