Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME GTK+ Tool-Kit Gets Improvements For OS X

Phoronix: GNOME GTK+ Tool-Kit Gets Improvements For OS X

GTK's Quartz back-end saw some new activity yesterday to benefit GTK applications running on OS X...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile they refuse to support Mir arguing that it's one distro specific?
    what about MacOSX morons!

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
      Meanwhile they refuse to support Mir arguing that it's one distro specific?
      what about MacOSX morons!
      The mac is a different OS, not a different Linux distro.
      Regardless, Gtk is a toolkit for Gnome and only supported on other OSes as an afterthought which is always behind schedule and underdeveloped.

Comment

Unless I'm seeing NIBs in the UI, those three hooks aren't remotely what make a Cocoa UI.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

GTK's Quartz back-end saw some new activity yesterday to benefit GTK applications running on OS X...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3NTY
          You mean the GIMP Toolkit?

Comment

the guy have a good point

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            The mac is a different OS, not a different Linux distro.
            Regardless, Gtk is a toolkit for Gnome and only supported on other OSes as an afterthought which is always behind schedule and underdeveloped.
            the guy have a good point, this is a really bad joke from gnome devs, i dont understand this.

this shit make me sick, one more time gnome devs

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
              the guy have a good point,
              Not really, the gnome guys are taking a stance against further splintering of the Linux world. On the other hand the Mac is a platform unto itself.
              this is a really bad joke from gnome devs, i dont understand this.
              It is pretty simple really, Ubuntu is crap as far as Linux goes and it looks like he Ubuntu developers want to make it an open but proprietary system. That sounds strange but let's face it if only a small segment of the Linux community goes the Ubuntu route it becomes a niche system. A system by the way that has far fewer users than those running Macs.
              this shit make me sick, one more time gnome devs
              Grow up! They are taking a stand right or wrong. It is far better to do that then to be wishy washy about what you intend to do. If Mir ends up being a niche product with little real world support and eventually dies because of that the Linux world will be better off. If Mir fails hopefully the Ubuntu crowd will have learned something about not cooperating with the rest of the Linux world.

Comment

I've never really liked Cocoa, so it might be better to avoid Nibs!

If you are looking for an alternative to Cocoa programming supporting Nibs isn't exactly providing an alternative.

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                Unless I'm seeing NIBs in the UI, those three hooks aren't remotely what make a Cocoa UI.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU3NTY
                  I imagine this patch was submitted. As with each gtk article I want to express my belief that gtk would be best served by making it a Linux only tk. That way they can offer the least amount of abstraction of any tk.

Comment

i simply dont...

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    Not really, the gnome guys are taking a stance against further splintering of the Linux world. On the other hand the Mac is a platform unto itself.

It is pretty simple really, Ubuntu is crap as far as Linux goes and it looks like he Ubuntu developers want to make it an open but proprietary system. That sounds strange but let's face it if only a small segment of the Linux community goes the Ubuntu route it becomes a niche system. A system by the way that has far fewer users than those running Macs.

Grow up! They are taking a stand right or wrong. It is far better to do that then to be wishy washy about what you intend to do. If Mir ends up being a niche product with little real world support and eventually dies because of that the Linux world will be better off. If Mir fails hopefully the Ubuntu crowd will have learned something about not cooperating with the rest of the Linux world.
                    i simply dont ask your opinion, and your opinion simply sucks

Comment

Working...
                    X