Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Major Music Company Now Backs Systemd In Debian

Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Then such developers are worthless. Like it or not Spotify is a customer, to keep good customers you need to at least listen to their opinions and rationally evaluate what is being said.
    There is no such thing as "Debian customers", I bet you don't use it...

Then such developers are worthless. Like it or not Spotify is a customer, to keep good customers you need to at least listen to their opinions and rationally evaluate what is being said.
    Debian doesn't get PAID by Spotify.. They aren't CUSTOMERS. If Spotify uses Debian without contributing then they are no different than any other random user who simply uses Debian and their opinion doesn't have any more backing. Now, if Spotify DOES contribute and is willing to KEEP contributing, perhaps even in the realm of systemd, then that's different.

It does feel kinda cool to find out where Debian or its derivates end up being used, though. Like Valve's SteamOS, like Nokia's N900 phone, like all of Google's servers, like laptops for astronauts onboard the ISS.

Why do they still include SELINUX? It's not used at all.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    In case someone WANTS to use it

I would be surprised if Spotify donated. As far as I know this is one of the companies where the actual musicians get the lowest amount of the share possible.

Quote Originally Posted by teresaejunior
    Consolekit
    Aaaah, the pain. I just tried to get rid on my Gentoo system of it. Because - afaik - it was not maintained anymore by any upstream and it was spamming my htop list for years. Several dozens of consolekit lines... Now it's finally out but of course some things suddenly stopped working (mounting plugin devices or CDROMs in KDE for example without using manual mount on the command line).
    And all these *kits loved to depend on each other.
    Yeah it's clever, if you think you need one (or if you actually do or some program forces a dependency on you) then the whole trail of its family comes with it.

I am happy that Gentoo leaves me a choice of init systems to use. On my HDD installations I also tend to use e4rat and parallel startup and it boots up fairly fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    Aaaah, the pain. I just tried to get rid on my Gentoo system of it. Because - afaik - it was not maintained anymore by any upstream and it was spamming my htop list for years. Several dozens of consolekit lines...
    In htop, press F2, under "Display options", check "Hide userland threads". It becomes much more viewable

Thumbs down

Having a free OS on their server farm, but not bothering to *support* a proper client on that same OS. F*** Spotify and their perpetual "preview" client for Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    Best thing would be choice. Because some people might hesitate to use thing Lennart Poettering touched. Because some of these things are broken or they require a trail of dependencies you don't want. Besides, it leaves BSD (and possibly others) before closed doors which isn't all that nice. I understand the demand for fast booting but there should be ways to do that without all the hassle.
    Remember, a default is not the same thing as "swallow this, like it or not". "Default" only means that, if you don't change the configuration, it will use it. For Debian kFreeBSD systemd will probably not be the default, for obvious reasons. I'm inclined to think they will keep sysvinit as default for kFreeBSD, or maybe, being optimistic in the time frame to make it usable, launchd.

Customers pay the bills. Users, not necessarily. As far as the article let us know, they are just users.
    NOW, I do think that you always need to listen opinion and rationally evaluate what is being said. Not because they are customers or users, but because you are a rational person.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrl View Post
    Doesn't Fedora (and probably RHEL) have it activated by default?