X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't they use an emulator?

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
      Introducing the ignorant anti-BSD troll Pawlerson who is brutally unaware of the fact that not all of the BSDs have "proprietary friends". OpenBSD takes a very hard line on proprietary software -- much harder than the majority of Linux distributions (it's edged out by Trisquel and other distros that refuse to include any sort of binary firmware).
      I don't have to be aware about their conections. OpenBSD is bsd licensed, so it's proprietary friendly. Now you're telling me they take very hard line on proprietary software. Are you serious? It's one of the biggest bullshits I've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
        Why can't they use an emulator?
        Emulators are rarely perfect, from http://wiki.winehq.org/OpenBSD:

OpenBSD is a Unix-like BSD-based operating system renowned for its security.

This security means it can be very unforgiving of even slightly ill-behaved programs - both applications running on OpenBSD, and virtual machines OpenBSD is running on.
        OpenBSD doesn't work properly in many virtual machines, because it puts quite a lot of strain on the quality of the emulation.

So only file bugs that you've seen manifest on a physical PC.
        so they could spend a lot of time tracking down bugs and performance/portability problems that don't actually exist, and are just issues with the emulator/virtual machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
          Anyways, can't they go for a Kickstarter or IndieGoGo campaign to raise some money?
          On Indiegogo, if they don't hit their funding goal then they lose 9% of what was donated. If they do hit it then they lose 4% (they'd need to use the flexible funding). They've already got a way for people to donate via paypal http://openbsd.org/donations.html. Since they're desperate for money at the moment, they're quite keen not to involve a middleman who needs paying.

It would give them more publicity, but to be honest now that it's been posted on slashdot I'm not sure how much more publicity it would get them.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
            On Indiegogo, if they don't hit their funding goal then they lose 9% of what was donated. If they do hit it then they lose 4% (they'd need to use the flexible funding). They've already got a way for people to donate via paypal http://openbsd.org/donations.html. Since they're desperate for money at the moment, they're quite keen not to involve a middleman who needs paying.
            Paypal takes a hefty sum for themselves as well. I learned that when I donated to KDE, FSF and FSFe. The two latter ones accept direct credit card, which is much better because that's what cuts the middle man.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Paypal takes a hefty sum for themselves as well. I learned that when I donated to KDE, FSF and FSFe. The two latter ones accept direct credit card, which is much better because that's what cuts the middle man.
              Bitcoin is even better in that sense since it really cuts the middleman.

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
                Perhaps it's time for the OpenBSD Foundation to consider changing its status. It doesn't really matter for smaller donations, but lack of tax deductibility might discourage larger donation amounts.
                That's quite a US-centric view, given that no EU country that I know of gives tax breaks for donations to private orgs (only to public orgs such as universities count, and those only in some countries).

Comment

Typo: s/to//

Comment

that's what cuts the middle man.
                    No. You still got Visa and MasterCard. They charge you a specific percentage based on the number of transactions your business/organization is doing per month. No middleman would be sending them an envelope with a cheque.

Comment

Solution: bitcoin.

Comment

Working...
                      X