Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD Foundation At Risk Of Shutting Down

Phoronix: OpenBSD Foundation At Risk Of Shutting Down

The OpenBSD Foundation is running into a situation of lack of funding to the point that they can't even cover their electricity costs and may be forced to suspend or reduce their operations without additional help...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I impatiently await the first "lol OpenB$D is dead! use Lin$ux!" postings.

Interestingly, most Open Source foundations (except those backed by large companies) suffer from the same problems.

Comment

Where are their proprietary "friends" now?

Comment

Finally

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          Where are their proprietary "friends" now?
          In opposite to FreeBSD, OpenBSD doesn't have a wide coverage in embedded devices or similar; it's mainly used for being cannibalized by Linux distributors.

Comment

Might make a good acquisition for Canonical, then?

Comment

Sure, Canonical could easily fund OpenBSD for some exclusive access to OpenSSH (and similar tools). I wonder why they haven't done so yet. Maybe because they prefer their stuff for free.

Comment

First off, Canonical was in an article about them operating at a loss recently, so for them to fund (even if it is a very small amount for them) is unlikely, and a lot of people here would say out of character as well.

Second, I'm sure the largest reason for them seeing a lack of interest (and funding) is because FreeBSD is arguably better and it's hard to see any significant difference otherwise. At least, I had trouble trying to figure out what it has to offer that FreeBSD doesn't.

Comment

A different packaging/ports system and a different core system with a focus on security, mainly.

Comment

Crap, I should've just read online again, I found a nice summary that went:
                    FreeBSD: Maximum Performance
                    OpenBSD: Maximum Security
                    NetBSD: Maximum Portability

I guess what people need is what OpenBSD does in security that is superior to another OS like even linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X