Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment's Compositor Gets A Huge Rewrite

Phoronix: Enlightenment's Compositor Gets A Huge Rewrite

It's been less than one month since the release of Enlightenment E18, but already there are exciting changes landed for its follow on release. Pushed on Tuesday were many more interesting changes to Enlightenment's Git repository. The most important change was a huge window management and compositor rewrite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Judging by their slang it looks like they're having a lot of fun. E19 should be worth trying out.

Comment

Enlightenment seems the most interesting desktop environment these days, but despite the large optimization and such, it needs improved stability (I have frequent crashes on it, I use it on a secondary computer I have) and features (there's some stuff people use it on KDE or Gnome/Cinnamon that aren't here) without making performance worse (a very difficult task, I know). I think it needs some more apps, like a software similar to Okular and other stuff.

What's interesting of this rewrite? Despite the large change of code, it seems they managed to make the code smaller:
      343 files changed, 26292 insertions, 30694 deletions

Are those insertions changes or lines? It could be interesting to compare the code size

Comment

If someone gets to get it to work with pure wayland could he provide some tips or a tutorial???

As for stability E17 and E18 seem rock solid for me. It's missing stuff (The daaaaaammmmnnnn File manager) but it is a great DE. Also if you find stuff missing post them on their bugzilla.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          If someone gets to get it to work with pure wayland could he provide some tips or a tutorial???

As for stability E17 and E18 seem rock solid for me. It's missing stuff (The daaaaaammmmnnnn File manager) but it is a great DE. Also if you find stuff missing post them on their bugzilla.
          When they where working on it in another branch I got it to work a bit, but only as a nested session.

I'm going by my build scripts:
          Build EFL, elementary, enlightenment
          --enable-wayland --enable-egl --with-opengl=es --enable-fb --enable-drm to EFL
          --enable-ecore-wayland to elementary
          --enable-wayland-egl --enable-wayland-clients --enable-wayland-only --enable-wl-fb --enable-wl-x11 to Enlightenment

You need to export
          E_WL_FORCE=x11 (to run nested)
          or
          E_WL_FORCE=fb (to run on Framebuffer)
          last I tested, Framebuffer didn't work as it tried to connect to an X server still, but that was before.

There's also
          E_WL_FORCE=drm for Kernel mode setting systems, but I don't think thats finished yet? most KMS systems provide a virtual /dev/fb0 anyway for now...

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
            When they where working on it in another branch I got it to work a bit, but only as a nested session.

I'm going by my build scripts:
            Build EFL, elementary, enlightenment
            --enable-wayland --enable-egl --with-opengl=es --enable-fb --enable-drm to EFL
            --enable-ecore-wayland to elementary
            --enable-wayland-egl --enable-wayland-clients --enable-wayland-only --enable-wl-fb --enable-wl-x11 to Enlightenment

You need to export
            E_WL_FORCE=x11 (to run nested)
            or
            E_WL_FORCE=fb (to run on Framebuffer)
            last I tested, Framebuffer didn't work as it tried to connect to an X server still, but that was before.

There's also
            E_WL_FORCE=drm for Kernel mode setting systems, but I don't think thats finished yet? most KMS systems provide a virtual /dev/fb0 anyway for now...
            Will this work on Vbox?? And also how are you supposed to start E. I'm not familiar with any popular DM supporting WL. (noobish questions i know)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              Will this work on Vbox?? And also how are you supposed to start E. I'm not familiar with any popular DM supporting WL. (noobish questions i know)
              after settimg the E_WL_FORCE var to x11, run
              enlightenment_start

it runs in a nested x11 window
              Last I tried fb backend it fails due to some pointer initilzation trying to connect to an X server... but now that they moved to the master branch, they could have fixed it......or I am doing something wrong too...

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                after settimg the E_WL_FORCE var to x11, run
                enlightenment_start

it runs in a nested x11 window
                Last I tried fb backend it fails due to some pointer initilzation trying to connect to an X server... but now that they moved to the master branch, they could have fixed it......or I am doing something wrong too...
                I'll try to modify the arch/aur git PKGBUILTS for efl elm and enlightenment and see how far i can get. I don't want to run it nested.

Scimmia who is a member in this forum might be able to provide some help.

Comment

I would not want to be on the CR for that one.

Comment

Don't look at me, I can't even get weston to run right on my play machine without using the X11 backend.

Comment

Working...
                    X